Sunday, May 1, 2011

My First Bountiful Basket

We had our first delivery of Bountiful Baskets in Casper this last Saturday. It's a food co-op that was started by some ladies in Utah that I assume are members of the church. Nikki has been participating in it in her area and now I have that opportunity.

Baskets are composed of 50% fruit/50% veggies and usually composed of six different ones of each. The cost is on $15.00 per basket and you can order "add-ons" which are additional items such as breads, desserts, ethnic foods, etc. for $7.50.

I decided to volunteer and this was the scene I saw when I arrived. It was cold and snowing. These are the baskets after they were sorted. Everyone brings a clothes basket or box and transfers the items into their own container. The basket contained 4 bananas, 2 apples, some sweet potatoes, 2 cartons strawberries, 2 grapefruit, 1 head cauliflower, 1 bunch broccoli, 1 pineapple, 1 cucumber, 6 ears of corn and a watermelon. My add-on was Italian Bag and I got a red onion, 1 white onion, a carton of mushrooms, an eggplant, 2 zuchinnis and fresh herbs.I think my money was well-spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment