Tuesday, May 10, 2011

On This Day in 1965...

... the Rolling Stones recorded "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction.  


This is the first record album that I ever owned and it was given to me as a Christmas present in 1965.  I was so excited to receive it that I remember I cried.  I kept that with me until we made the move here to Wyoming and it was given away. 

The song was first released as a single in the United States in June 1965 and also featured on the American version of Out of Our Heads, released that July. "Satisfaction" was a hit, giving the Stones their first number one in the United States. The song initially played only on pirate radio stations because its lyrics were considered too sexually suggestive.  When the Rolling Stones performed the song on Shindig! in 1965, the line "trying to make some girl" was censored.



Shindig was a series that first aired for a half-hour every week, but was expanded to an hour in January 1965. In the fall of 1965, the show split into two half-hour telecasts, on Thursday and Saturday nights.

Shindig!'s premiere episode was a pilot featuring The Righteous Brothers. Later shows were taped in Britain with The Beatles as the guests. The series featured other "British invasion" bands and performers including The Who, The Rolling Stones and Cilla Black. Shindig continued to broadcast episodes from London throughout its run.

Many popular performers of the day played on Shindig! including Sam Cooke, Lesley Gore, Bo Diddley, and Sonny and Cher.

Shindig!'s success prompted NBC to air the similar series Hullabaloo starting in January 1965.


I used to come home from school every afternoon and LOVED watching the Shindig! and then "Hullabaloo".  The dancers were always so groovy.  They were known as "go-go girls" and they wore the white boots while dancing.  I had and did get a pair of those go-go boots like those in the picture.