Monday, May 30, 2011

Remembering Grandaddy McGhee

Today is 20 years ago that Granddaddy McGhee died.  I don't remember much about that day even though I was almost 40 years old and the mother of an almost 9 year old son. 

I did not attend any of the services of my grandparents as I did not and do not handle death and funerals very well.  I don't recall if Corey attended the funeral, but I imagine that he did.  He probably went with his grandparents.

I have sparse and scattered memories of my granddaddy since we didn't ever live close to them until around the time I was about to graduate from high school.  But, I do know these things about him:

- He loved to go fishing.
 - He fed his fish in the pond next to their home the biscuits Grandmother might have left over from breakfast.
- He never wore shoes (I wrote about that in an earlier blog).
- He used to load me and my cousins up in the back of his old pickup truck and would drive like a madman up and down the clay hills.  He'd make us hang on for dear life or otherwise you might bounce out of the truck.  It was a version of a redneck rollercoaster.
- He used to pick up and sell soda bottles.
- He had a mischievous grin and the whitest hair.
- He always wore overalls.
- He would make you squeal in pain if he ever got a hold of your toe.
- He used to pile his plate up with whatever the dessert was that Grandmother made - eat it and then say "Well, that tasted pretty good.  I think I'll have some of that to eat now".
- He liked eating hog brains scrambled with eggs.
- He was always nice to everyone - it didn't matter what color of skin you had.  At least I never saw him be unkind to anyone.
- He never went to church with my God-fearing Grandmother.

No, I didn't know my Granddaddy McGhee very well and it's most likely my fault.  I always wanted to make sure that my own child knew his grandparents better than I knew mine.  I wanted him to have an established relationship with them and then he could have lots of fond memories of things he did with both his grandmother and his grandfather.  I think I succeeded in some degree.  I believe he knows and loves and cares for his Grandmother and Granddaddy Cattell.  However, I failed on the other side of the family, but don't take full blame for that.  I think Corey only saw his Grandma Nora before she died maybe three times in his life and it was when he was small.  And, his other grandfather had been dead long before I even married Les.

But, today I remember my Granddaddy McGhee for those times I do remember and I still smile every time I remember the redneck rollercoaster.

This picture was taken in April of 1974 and I don't recall why my granddaddy would be wearing a wig on his head.  I think that is Mom in the background behind him

Granddaddy and Grandmother McGhee at their home in Brookfield.  She is holding Corey when he was about six months old.

But, today I remember my Granddaddy McGhee and still get a smile on my face recalling the redneck rollercoaster.