Sunday, May 15, 2011

Nylon Stockings Day

Today is the 68th anniversary of the first sale of women's nylons.  Why would I care?  Because from the time I was about 12 years old until the invention of panty hose in the early 70's that is what I wore every Sunday when I went to church.  And, I couldn't wait until I was "old enough" to do this!

After a while though, I hated wearing them.  They "ran" too easily and you could destroy a pair just by trying to put them on.  They would snag on your rings or a broken fingernail.  The only way to really stop a run was dab clear nailpolish at the source.


They were a real pain trying to fasten on the garter.  It was almost like you needed to be a contortionist in order to get them fastened, particularly in the back.  And, it was terrible to try and do this on a hot day.  I did not grow up with air conditioning in many of our homes.  Therefore, it sometimes became very hot and frustrating to put on the stockings.

Thank goodness when pantyhose were put on the market in the early 70's.  It sure made life a lot easier when it came to wearing hosiery.  And, no well-dressed woman would EVER go to church or to an office job without wearing some type of hosiery.

How times have changed since many women no longer wear either.  A well-shaved leg with some bronzing lotion or a tan seems to be the way most women wear their naked legs today.