Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Art of Puttering

Puttering is really a time to be alone, to dream and to get in touch with yourself...To putter is to discover. - Alexandra Stoddard

This is based on a the "Simple Abundance" book.  The author writes that there is a significant distinction between straightening, cleaning and "puttering."  Puttering is not on your "to-do" list, there if charms, centers and cajoles stressed spirits. 

Unlike cleaning, which can be a group activity, puttering is a solitary pursuit, to be approached with an unhurried pace for maximum benefits.  The essence of putting is rearranging and can include displaying flowers and moving furniture.  You only think you're rearranging favorite things on a mantel, bookcase, or tabletop when you're really creating a fresh interior lifescape.  "Creative puttering" helps us to become aware of what's still important to us, what continues to have meaning.  This quiet, private act can bring the different aspects of our life into sharp focus - and identify our needs."

I find that music plays an important part in my own puttering ritual.  I love to listen to music ranging from contemporary Christian to current country to today's pop hits - it just depends upon my mood and what I'm doing and how involved I am.  I find that puttering soothes a need for internal home change.  I now live in a very small house and find that my opportunities to putter have to be carefully thought through as I have limited space. 

At one time in my life, I wanted to be an interior designer, but never made that happen.  I've always felt a need to make huge changes like moving large pieces of furniture around, but space does not permit that in this house.  The saying around here is "a place for everything and everything in it's place."  So, I am excited when I do get rewarded by even a small act of puttering.  Some examples of my recent "putterings" are...

I had recently purchased the hanging star hooks knowing that sometime, somewhere I would find the perfect item(s) to be hung there.  For the time being, it filled a space that needed something besides a picture and the flowers provided some depth to the space also.

Rather than use a vase for the flowers, I found an old jar in a second hand store with part of its rusted ring still attached.  This has been sitting on my dining room table.  It looks especially great with fresh tulips.
Then one day I got my "aha moment" when I thought about hanging one of my baby dresses on the hook. But then, that meant I had to find just the right hanger and it wasn't some little plastic item. Since I couldn't find an old wooden baby hanger, this hanger is fashioned out of thick wire and does quite nicely. And, the flowers from the table and the tray got switched.  The tray for the stand now sits on the footstool by the couch.  This tray is actually a large frame filled with pictures of my kids, Derek and Joe.



Sometimes it's just new sofa cushions.

This tray sits on top of the footstool instead of a stand and therefore the footstool serves double duty.

I love puttering!