Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Today In History...(And there were lots of things on this date)

...May 31, 1859…In London, Big Ben went into operation. The name Big Ben initially referred to the bell inside the tower but later came to the refer to the tower.  It is the largest four-faced chiming clock and the third-tallest free-standing clock tower in the world.

While Corey and I were in London in July of 2000, we went to see and hear Big Ben.

We're almost there!

Corey's ready to set his clock to "Ben Time".

We finally made it to see "Ben".  We were thrilled to be standing there at 12:00 noon which meant we got to hear him bong a total of 12 times.

Big Ben adjoins the Palace of Westminster which is where Parliament meets.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

...May 31, 1907…The first taxis arrived in New York City. They were also the first in the United States.  When I was in New York City in November of 2002, I had my first opportunity to "hail" a cab and they are everywhere and lots of them!.  You cannot be a wimp when doing so.  You almost have to throw yourself out on the street and yell "taxi"!

Hailing a cab is as simple as stepping off the curb and holding out your arm -- it only gets complicated when you need to figure out why many New York taxis seem to drive by without stopping for you. The trick is in the lights atop the cab.

  •  When just the center is lit, highlighting the medallion number, the cab is available.
  • When the medallion number, as well as the side lamps are lit, the cab is off-duty.
  •    When no lights are lit, the cab already has a fare they are bringing to a destination.
Seriously, the best way to grab a cab is to position yourself in the street (the sidewalk, though slightly safer, is considered by taxi drivers to be reserved for those who are not dead serious about getting a cab).

Then, you stand 'up-road' to other cab waiters.  This means you stand in front of other people so you can intercept a cab before it reaches them.  Then you yell "taxi" louder than the others and slightly jump up and down and wave your arm.  It works!

The minimum fare in a cab is $2.50.  That means the moment you step inside a cab, it already costs you $2.50.  I remember my ride from Kennedy Airport to my hotel downtown costs me $45.00 + tip by the time it was over.  That was my most expensive ride. So, I can mark "riding in a New York cab" off my bucket list.

------------------------------------------------------------

May 31, 1966…Lulu's first movie, "To Sir With Love," began filming in London.  This was only one of the very few movies that I ever attended with my dad.  In fact, I can name the movies he ever went to with us as a family. (1) Darby O'Gill and The Little People; (2) The Sound of Music; (3) Born Free; and (4) To Sir With Love.



-------------------------------------------------------------------------
May 31, 1966…Filming started on "The Monkees (Here Come The Monkees)," the first filmed episode of the television series.  The group reached the height of fame from 1966 to 1968. 



I never missed an episode.  Now if I run across one, I realize how stupid a show it was.  But the music was great and they were one of the most popular groups when I was a teenager.
    Slumber party at Cindy Stanley's house in 1967 when I was 15 years old.  These girls were in my M.I.A. class at church.  We were probably sitting around listening to "The Monkees".  We were all in love with Davy Jones.
------------------------------------------------------------
May 31, 1982…R.E.M. signed a five-album deal with I.R.S. Records, an independent label based in California.

Their song "Losing My Religion" was released in 1991 and the song became R.E.M.'s highest-charting hit in the United States.



Every time I hear this song, it always brings back memories the most vivid being after Les left.  One afternoon Corey and I were feeling a little bit bummed out and so we decided to get on the interstate, drive a little over the speed limit with all the windows down.  I had a R.E.M. CD in the player and we cranked up this song and blew away our troubles for awhile.

Then one Sunday I was sitting in church, had forgot to turn off my cellphone and Corey called.  (Every time he called, my cell phone played "Losing My Religion").  When he called, my cellphone starting playing..."That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight losing my religion".  Oh, my gosh - That was me in the corner and that was me in the spotlight when the song started playing.