Saturday, May 7, 2011

Astronomy Day

In honor of Astronomy Day I relate this story...I had a telephone one time. I was about 11 or 12 years old.  It's what I had asked for Christmas and I got it that year.  I loved the telescope.  I spent many an evening in my bedroom looking at the moon and the stars.
The one day curiosity got the better of me.  I was wondering what made the telescope work.  How was I able to see the moon and the stars so close up?  So, I did a terrible thing.  I operated and dissected my poor innocent telescope.  I discovered it had a lens, a focuser, an eyepiece, a mirror, refractors and lots of other parts.  It was very educational for me.

Having satisfied my curiosity, I then started to piece it together again.  However, that never happened.  I had taken it so far apart that it was like "all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again.  So, my telescope's fate wound up being the trashcan and I never got another telescope.

------------------------------------
My favorite experience about looking into the heavens though took place in 2009 when Joe and I went to spend a long weekend with a friend who lived on a ranch in the middle of Montana.  One clear night I went outside in the total darkness and spent quite a long time just gazing into the heavens.  I'd never seen so many stars in my life.  It was absolutely incredible.