Monday, May 23, 2011

Today Is National Taffy Day

Why do I care if it's National Taffy Day?  Because taffy reminds me of Mom.  She loves taffy - especially salt water taffy.  Whenever I've traveled about the country and I've seen taffy being made and sold, I've always brought her back a bag or two.  The taffy that I've personally always enjoyed the most was made in Savannah on the riverfront.  There were so many different flavors and every time I came to Savannah, I had to stop by the candy store.  But, the funnest part about visiting this shop was the way that the taffy was made and delivered for the customers.


Did you know...The texture of taffy is due to its cooking temperature? If you bite into a piece of taffy and find it brittle, it's not old; it was simply cooked at higher temperature than chewier taffy, according to the National Confectioners Association . Where and when did this stretchy mixture of corn syrup, sugar, butter and flavorings originate? Taffy was found in Midwestern county fairs in the 1800s.

Candy historians trace the salt water taffy variety to Atlantic City. A storm hit Atlantic City in 1883, flooding the boardwalk. David Bradley's shop inventory, including his candy, was soaked by the salty water of the Atlantic. When a young girl inquired about some taffy, he offered her "salt water taffy."