Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Prayer To My Son

Though Corey may be a married man and the father to his own son, I still think this is appropriate.  I can only hope that as his mother. that he feels that I did my best. 

O, Master, make me a better mother.

Teach me to understand my son, to listen patiently to what he has to say, and to answer all the questions kindly.  Keep me as courteous to him as I would like him to be to me.  Give me the courage to confess my sins against my son and to ask his forgiveness, when I know that I have done him a wrong.

May I not vainly hurt the feelings of my son.  Forbid that I should laugh at his mistakes or resort to shame and ridicule as punishment.  let me not tempt my child to lie and to steal.  So guide me hour by hour that I may demonstrate by all I say and do that honesty produces happiness.

Reduce, I pray, the meanness in me.  may I cease to nag; and when I am out of sorts, help me hold my tongue.

Blind me to the little errors of my son and help me see the good things that he does.  Give me a ready word of honest praise.

Help me to grow up with my son, to treat him as would those of his own age, but let me not exact out of him the judgment and conventions of adults.  Allow me not to rob him of the opportunity to wait upon himself, to think, to choose and to make decisions.

Forbid that I should ever punish him for my selfish satisfaction.  May I grant him all his wishes that are reasonable and have the courage always to withhold a privilege which I know will do him harm.

Make me so fair and just, so considerate and companionable to my son that he will have a genuine esteem for me.  Fit me to be loved and imitated.

With all Thy gifts, O great Master, give me calm, poise and self-control.

Amen