Thursday, June 9, 2011

International Clothesline Week

I wanted to recognize this week as I have extensive experience when it comes to using clotheslines. 


In the old days before dryers, we had to hang our clothes out on the clothesline.  When I got tall enough that I could do it, that became one of my duties from time to time.
I remember that the line was sometimes a coated type wire and that before you could hang up any clothing, I had to take a rag and run it along the wire to remove anything that might have soiled it i.e., bird poop, tree sap, insect droppings, dirt, etc.
Items needed to hang clothing included:  clothespins and there were two different types, a cloth bag or an apron with big pockets which held your clothespins.

I had to remember how to hang like items together meaning group all the towels together, the socks together, etc.  It's kinda like when you go to the grocery store and try to group your purchases together such as frozen, meats, etc. 

To lessen wrinkles, you give each item a good shake and once it is pinned to the line, give the bottom corners a good tug to pull out more wrinkles.

Hanging sheets and blankets was always interesting in that you had to throw them over the line enough to match the bottoms together and then apply clothespins so that the wind wouldn't make them fall off.  (The also made great hiding places and a neat place to run around in.  Shhh!  don't tell Mom!

The biggest thing I remember was when you went to hang up underwear, you were supposed to do it so that nobody could see it, especially the neighbors.  So you hid it in between rows and away from the prying eyes of others.

I'm sorry, but although the clothes would smell great after flapping around in the sunny breeze all day long, I enjoy my dryer dried clothing now.  It's quicker, a fabric softener added in the wash or a dryer sheet added in the dryer makes mine smell great and there's more time to do other things. But I do still remember how to hang clothes on the clothesline if necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment