Sunday, November 16, 2008

Kudos To Friends and Family

Because of the move, we are doing MAJOR reduction of items we have in our home. If it were up to Joe we'd be doing much, much more but, that ain't happening. He's telling everyone that all he's allowed to take is what fits inside a sandwich bag. Sounds good to me!

Anyway, we've lost furniture of all types; 20+ years of accumulated child care items; antiques of all kinds; books - novels, cookbooks, church books, research, magazines; all my craft supplies; and items that I never expect to ever accumulate in my life time. I've been very selective about many of the items and where they are going. It's almost like I've been adopting out these items to people to who they would be compatible. I know that may sound strange, but I want comfort in knowing that they would be appreciated as much as I've enjoyed them. Shelves have disappeared that used to cover the walls of my office and the front room and now the rooms seem larger and there is the beginning sound of an echo. Floors that use to be visible have disappeared from stacks of boxes and containers and now they seem smaller. You don't dare walk around in the house in the dark for fear of breaking some body part.

It seems strange to be packing food also. After all there are grocery stores in Casper. But we've worked long and hard on achieving what food storage we've accumulated and how do you not take that with you? There is the planning of the last day to wash clothes, to plan a meal, to take down the shower curtain and the list goes on and on. My advice...never live in a house for 30 years and then try to move. And, if you have to, don't wait until you are too tired with sore, hurting knees and legs to do so!

But were it not for the help of dear friends, it would be so much harder to do. And, it's a wonderful thing to find out who your true friends are because they are the ones who won't take your refusal of help seriously. They are the ones who show up and take time out of their busy weekend and spend it with you for no other reason than they love you. Thanks to those friends.

1 comment:

  1. It's got to be hard going through 30+ years of stuff. I can't even imagine it.

    ReplyDelete