Monday, November 10, 2008

The Job I Could Have Had


The job that I could have was that of a sheepherder. Seriously. The pay was $650 dollars per month, but you also received room and board. The room and board was in a sheepherder's wagon as shown in the picture. I would also have a horse or two. After all, something has to pull the wagon and you need some way to herd the sheep.
Couldn't you just see me, Joe and the dogs living together in the wagon out in the Wyoming mountains or plains? Think of all the alone time we'd have. Think of all the quiet other than the bleating of the sheep. Think how much weight we'd lose since you just couldn't order out for pizza or pop into some local restaurant. Think of all the money we could save. Wow, it's beginning to sound better and better. I just wonder how we'd get Joe's monthly disability delivered.
The main responsibilities of the job involved driving the sheep from the high country to the low country since winter is coming on. You also had to be on the lookout for those whiley coyotes who love mutton meat. Hey, there's another benefit of the job...I could brush up on my shooting skills.
Couldn't you see Joe cooking dinner over the open fire with the furry kids romping around irritating the sheep? Couldn't you see all of romping around in the great outdoors? Who am I kidding...why do you think I didn't pursue this job?!?!?

1 comment:

  1. James is putting out the word you are taking a job on a wagon train cooking on cast iron over the open flame. Don't be surprised when he refers to you as "Cookie" when you see him next.

    ReplyDelete