Sunday, January 4, 2009

Sister Barlow


While in Orem this weekend, Joe and I, along with Corey, Nikki and Derek got to have a visit with Sister Mildred Barlow. Yes, I know she lives in Moultrie, but she was out here visiting her son, Keith, and other family members for a month. Corey and Nikki have friends that they discovered are related to the Barlow's and told them that Sister Barlow was coming out West.

So, we loaded up Saturday afternoon and went to visit with her. I was so glad to see her again as she was someone that I had wanted to visit before moving, but just ran out of time.

I have known the Barlow family since I was 13 years old when our family met them when we moved to Eglin AFB in Florida. Her sweet husband, Lincoln, was in the old Florida Mission presidency that covered the entire state of Florida and south Georgia. Through that association, we came to know their family quite well.

My first trip to Utah was in 1970 for a Laurel Conference at BYU and I rode out west and back with their family. I had a crush on their son, Ricky, who never gave me the time of day, but I never held it against their family.

Corey has had an association with them all of his life also. Many times when we would go to Moultrie, we would stop in to visit Brother and Sister Barlow. One day when Corey was about 10 years old, he and I went to visit and she'd made a cake or some cookies and gave us some. Poor Corey with his sad eyes snuggled up to Sister Barlow and told her that I never cooked him any cookies or cake. Well, she promised him right then and there that if he needed any, all he had to do was call. A day or two after this visit, she showed up at our home with a plate of cookies just for Corey and every time afterwards, she always had some "stash" of goodies for him.

When Brother Barlow passed away, I attended his funeral. It was the most beautiful celebration of a person's life I've ever experienced. It was such a loving tribute done by members of his family and I've told Mom and Dad that that is the way I'd love to have them remembered too when the time comes many, many years from now.

Anyway, the visit with her was wonderful. She held Derek, hugged Joe whom she'd had met several times, hugged Nikkie, loved on Corey and gave me the most wonderful hug and kiss when we left and told me how much she loved me. What a wonderful woman! What a wonderful spirit!

No comments:

Post a Comment