Thursday, December 25, 2008

Strangest Christmas Ever

Yes, this was my first Christmas not being with Mom and Dad. I know it's hard to believe that in my 56 years I've never missed one with all my traveling around. All in all it seemed like a regular day to me as I spent most of the day in bed recuperating from back spasms I've had for the last couple of days.

It did hit me last night after the reading of the "Christmas story" by Dad that I really wasn't going to be home for Christmas this year. I do think it is quite remarkable that I've had this opportunity for such a long time. I love the fact that even though Joe and I couldn't be there in person, modern technology allowed us to be a part of the get together.

So, it was Joe and I "celebrating" together this year. We could have gone to Utah to see the kids, but there was just so much going on with them this year and since Joe was recovering from surgery and I from back spasms - it was just not going to happen.

BUT, there is next week (weather permitting) that we will go over the river and through the woods to see the kids!

It was very nice and thoughtful for me to hear from dear friends last night and today. It gives me a sense of some connection to the rest of the world. We've not left the house today either because of the high wind advisory that has been in effect for the last two weeks. We've had steady winds of about 40 miles per hour with wind gusting at 50 mph! That's like hurricane force winds with frost thrown in!

But, here's hoping that all my family members celebrated with a wonderful Christmas in whatever way they saw fit.

2 comments:

  1. I have felt all day that it was a truly strange one too. It is the first time I have spent a Christmas with animals for company rather than my "special" people. I almost feel like tomorrow should be a Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After midnight and before daybreak on Christmas,
    my dog barked a couple times,
    I thought it was just the wind slamming against my house.

    In the morning
    I found one of the neighbor's trees
    had broken from its trunk,
    fallen across my backyard,
    and knocked out
    cable and phone lines.

    I put a photo on my website.

    The phone company repaired the phone line the day
    after Christmas.

    Last night I added to my website a complaint
    that the cable company
    had not
    cleaned up their wires
    draped across my garage
    and across the length of my backyard.

    The telephone repairman had stated that the cable wires
    had a
    "low voltage output".

    Today, saturday, Dec. 27th,
    they are still not cleaned up,
    and someone blocked my URL
    to my own website!

    Don't I have a right to warn neighbors of the risk of
    "low voltage output"
    wires strewn around the ground that could harm
    a neighborhood pet or child?

    Cris Ericson

    http://crisericson.com
    Chester, Vermont 05143

    CRISERICSON.COM

    ReplyDelete