Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Human Popsicle

Let me just start out by saying that I never, ever knew how cold and crazy Mother Nature could be until today. Joe and I had full intentions of going to our new Ward for the first time today. Then she kicked our butts!!! Mother Nature that is. The temperature was supposed to ONLY get down to about -25 last night. But, when we woke up this morning it was -35 below!!! We had ice on the inside of some of our windows and snow covered my car and the yard. (Did I mention those kids from Utah called to "see how we were doing"? The conversation was peppered with both concern and lots of laughing).

May I state that the dogs did the fastest poop and pee I've ever seen them do when I let them outside? I really do feel sorry for the dogs. They give me looks for time to time like "when are we going home"? Or, "what did I do to deserve this?" They are forced to be in a much, much smaller yard, but hey, it's a yard, huh? And, they are only allowed to spend time in the kitchen since we have very light colored carpeting and we just can't let them tromp through the house. They seem to be getting more peanut butter doggie treats these days as our guilt payment to them.

Though we didn't make it to church, I did have to venture out to Wal-Mart to pick up a prescription and shot needles that Joe needed. We were going to pick them up yesterday, but decided we'd wait and do it after church today. And since we didn't make it, I went out. OMG!!! Why not? It had warmed up to a balmy -15 by now. I hurried out to the car, praying all the way that the car would start. After all, this is a southern sports car and not used to all this new climate. Thank the Lord it did start and I warmed it up for about 30 minutes. Then I coasted around our neighborhood to the main street about 20 mph on frozen snow. I figured the Georgia license plate would explain my slow driving enroute to WalMart. When I arrived (slid) there, the parking lot had not been plowed, so it was parking basically where ever you wanted. I then ice skated my way to the door praying that I wouldn't fall on my butt. (See even though I didn't make it to church, look how much praying I did today). While there I picked up a few more items and boy did I pay for that literally and figuratively. You try pushing a shopping cart uphill to your car. Needless to say, by the time I arrived home I was worn out. I've learned my lesson - I'll never go anywhere ever again on Sunday- except to church. (Well, at least Wal-Mart).

Now, I've got to get my clothes ready for in the morning....thick socks, thermal undersquare, a pullover sweater, thick gloves, my pull on hat and my furry boots. After all, it'll be another lovely day in the neighborhood tomorrow...mostly cloudy, with a high near 11 with a wind chill as low as -15. And, more new snow. Hot dog!!!

1 comment:

  1. The mild winters were part of the selling point when we visited Tifton looking for a job.
    I still have an engine heater plug hanging out the front of the dodge dynasty I drive.
    Good luck staying warm!

    ReplyDelete