Monday, December 22, 2008

Miss Ann



This is Ann Johnson a/k/a "Miss Ann". She is the most dearest neighbor I've ever had in my life. She was my friend and adopted family member. She lived in the house behind me for the 30 years I lived there. (And what a lovely house. It looks like the inside of Better Homes and Gardens with all the special things she has scattered around our home. She even has a picture of Derek which lies among the pictures of her own grandchildren). And what a Southern accent she has!

I met Miss Ann first as a new bride moving into my first home and loved her instantly. Throughout the years, she knew my struggles to get pregnant, was there the first day that I brought Corey home from the hospital and watched him grow up. (Throughout the years she also saw most of Nancy's children grow up).

She attended all the important events in Corey's life such as his school plays, his baptism, his Court of Honor, leaving for his mission, his wedding reception and anything else that was important in his life.

She used to give Corey a birthday card and $1 for every year of his age, until he got too expensive. She always put aside special Halloween candy and goodies for him and usually gave him something for Christmas. He always loved visiting with her as the both of them would have tea parties from time to time which meant she had fixed something yummy for him to eat.

One year when he was about 7 or 8 years old, he went over to help her pick up the many pine cones in her yard without any notion of being paid money. He came home many, many minutes later with a big grin on his face and announced to me that he'd gotten something better than money from Miss Ann. He'd gotten a giant sized piece of chocolate cake and a big glass of milk!

Miss Ann was there during my divorce, my engagement and attended my wedding to Joe. In the last few years, we'd made it a tradition to go look at Christmas lights around the county. The "funnest" time we ever had was when Corey did the driving. Mom was in the front seat with Corey, Joe and Ann in the middle seat of my Rodeo and I was in the back end. Corey took us places I'd never been to before and places I don't think the car should have gone. We hit potholes, slipped and slided on dirt roads and by the time we finally made it home it was 3:00 a.m.! Ann told me she'd never laughed so hard and enjoyed herself more which was music to our ears since her husband Charles had died earlier that year.

Before leaving Omega, Miss Ann was the last person I visited. How do you tell a dear friend how much you love her and know that you will miss her? It was difficult, but I know that when we go to the family reunion in May, I will see her again. She's made me promise that Joe and I will spend the night at her home. And, thank goodness for the telephone.

No comments:

Post a Comment