Monday, December 15, 2008

My FIrst Field Trip with RMOTC

Today being Monday it was time to go to work again. I just love those three day weekends and it sure makes it hard to get up dark thirty on Monday mornings. Joe was about to open his mouth to voice encouraging words (while his head was laying on my pillow), but I advised him that he should just keep his thoughts to himself for the moment. And yes, it was very cold this morning - but not as cold as yesterday so we count our blessings. (By the way...all that firewood we gave away we sure could enjoy using right now. We've got to find a source for some or we may resort to going into the mountains and picking up dead limbs and throwing them in the trunk. Wouldn't that be a sight)?

While sitting in my bosslady's truck this morning in the company parking lot, I noticed a very strange sight. It was five pronghorn antelope casually walking past my car. That's not something you see in Tifton people! They wandered out of the parking lot into the traffic and everyone survived.

When we got to the RMOTC (Rocky Mountain Oilfield Testing Center) office today, we discovered we had no heat. Yep, you heard me right. For some reason the gas wasn't kicking on the furnace. We all stayed in our coats and gloves and hats until almost 11:00 today and thank goodness I had a small electric heater in my office. However, wherever I went, it went. Nobody told me about all these fringe benefits!

I did get to go on a field trip while at work today. My carpool buddy, Kevin, had to ride to the oil rig for a meeting with the rig manager and asked if I'd like to come along. For sure!!! So off we went in the 4 wheel truck through parts of the oilfield I'd never seen before. I now know more about the oil business than I'd ever known in my life other than my experiences with the gas stations. I was even issued my own hardhat and safety glasses today and should get my voucher for steel-toed boots tomorrow. I wasn't allowed to get out of the truck since I didn't have the boots, so I sat in it while Kevin had his meeting . I did get to watch some of the activities though. I watched a pipe being dragged up the "beaver slide"; watched the "elevator lower some pipe, etc. I felt like a child who had been told to stay in the car and could only observe the outside world from inside. Once I get my boots though - I'm legal to go anywhere in the 10,000 acres.

When we got back to Casper tonight, I climbed in my car and looked at the car temperature. I shouldn't have. It was a wonderful 2 degrees. In that kind of weather you have to drive with your gloves on when you don't have the opportunity to warm up your car first. At least there was no new snow - yet.

Arriving home, I opened up the door and found that my sweet hubby had roasted a turkey today. It was fantastic. It's so nice to come home to warm lips and hot food!!!

2 comments:

  1. Boy, the stories you can tell your grandchildren if you still have your mind by time they are old enought to listen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course I'll have my mind!!! Well, at least I hope so.

    ReplyDelete