Saturday, December 13, 2008

Can You Spell Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr?

I want everyone to know that I have a very sadistic son and daughter-in-law. It seems that their greatest joy these days is calling us to rib us about our weather. Corey breaks out in resounding waves of laughter on most phone calls. I remember when I used to have sympathy for those snow/cold filled days that he and Nikki used to have, but no more. Oh no...I've found out that I think that Joe and I will always have it worse than any family member at this time.

It is almost 7:00 p.m. and the top half of my car was already almost covered with snow. And, the temperature at this time is 1. Yep, 1 degree. I don't ever remember 1 degree and the windchill is supposed to get down to -25 to -35 degrees. In case you did not know, exposed skin can get frostbite in 10 minutes in that kind of weather. Generally I like to check out facts, but don't think I'll be testing that one!

We made a lot of progress on setting the house in order today. Though it's been two weeks, it's been so hard for me to get much done. I get up at 4:00 a.m. Monday-Thursday to get ready for work. I leave the house at 5:00 a.m. to drive to the Casper office to carpool with someone. I've already had to invest in a snow broom and ice scrappers which I keep in my car trunk. I've also replaced my Georgia windshield fluid with a de-icer fluid. We leave the office parking lot at 5:30 and head north to the Rocky Mountain Oilfield Testing Center. I've seen what a portion of it looks like in the daylight as it's dark when I go to work and dark when I leave work. It may be May before I actually see where I'm working. We head out north on I-25 for about 25 miles, then go on to a two lane road for about 18 miles and then the remaining 6 miles or so on a dirt road. The dirt road is fine as long as it's dry or frozen, but when the snow thaws - look out!!! It becomes a very slippery mess. We start out with a 6:30 a.m. meeting and then I work until 5:00 p.m. It makes for very, very long days, but the reward is having every Friday off which makes a very nice long weekend for Joe and me. So, that's the reason it's been taking so long to right the house. I haven't seemed to have too much energy when I get home. But everyday it's getting easier and I'm getting more stamina.

One of the hardest things to adjust to here (besides the weather) is the altitude. We are over a mile high and where I work is even higher. You find yourself being quickly out of breath and stopping to breath. I have also experienced some nausea, but am told to drink LOTS of water. It is getting easier though after a couple of weeks.

I enjoy our home location - it's so convenient to everything! Casper has everything I think we would need with the exception of a Golden Corral, Zaxby's and Sonny's. We do have a Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, Sears, Macy's, Penny's, Sam's, etc. There is a very nice large mall with a Bath and Body Works, Bed, Bath and Beyond, various name brand shoe stores, Claires, etc. It even has a food court. We may take up mall walking here after the house is in order since that may be the only warm place to walk.

Life is different here, but the people are nice and friendly thus far. They are certainly different from those in Georgia by the way they talk and dress and their life attitude, but I'm enjoying it here (even with the wild weather).

No comments:

Post a Comment