Tuesday, February 10, 2009

My first grandchild's first birthday

I've spent the last hour trying to download pictures from my scanner, but to no avail. Consequently, I've run out of time to write the things I really wanted to say about today and will have to continue at a later date. I wanted to write about how time seems to have flown when I realize that Derek is a year old today. It hardly seems possible. And though I've not had many opportunities to spend time with him, the times that I've had with him are very precious and wonderful memories.

I never got to know my grandparents very well. Due to distance and opportunity, it just wasn't that possible to establish a real bonding relationship with them. I hope that as Derek grows up, he gets to know me well, know Joe and I as his Grandma and Grandpa Weaver and want to spend time with us.

How grateful I am that we could be present at his blessing and, weather permitting, we will have the opportunity of sharing and celebrating his first birthday this coming weekend. What a joy he is to me! I never knew how much this sweet spirit could touch my soul. I love how his face lights up. I love his enthusiasm for life. I love how he responds to his parents. Thank you Corey and Nikki for this special gift in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment