Saturday, August 30, 2008

My Baptism

This is the Tokyo Mission Home as I knew it in 1962-1965 and this is where Susan and I were baptized on September 1, 1962 when I was 10 years old. It was located in a residential area of Tokyo located across the street from a beautiful park. It was located about 35 miles from our home at Johnson AFB and seemed like it took forever to get there.This is the "before" picture. If you were facing the mission home, the baptismal font was located in a shaded area on the left side. It was what used to be the family bathing area which looked like a small swimming pool. (The Japanese people used to soap up and rinse off before entering the bath water).

This is the "after" picture". We are standing with Kenneth Moore who baptized us. All went well except the water was apparently way too cool for Susan and she fought to get out of the water and had to be "dunked" again.

(Brother Moore's wife, Kieko, was a young teenager living in Nagasaki when the atomic bomb was dropped. I don't remember all the details, but I remember her talking about it one time - about the death and destruction and how she managed to live).

So, now I've been a member of The Church of Jesus-Christ of Latter-day Saints for 46 years. Because of the faith and conviction of many people that my parents knew and loved, I'm been able to have my faith strengthened and tested many times. But, my Heavenly Father has always taken care of me through the rough times in my life. I've been fortunate many times to have been the recipient of priesthood blessings which have healed members of my family or myself, had blessings of comfort and peace bestowed upon my head and my heart and soul. I know that I have a Heavenly Father who loves me.

Because of the diligence and testimony of my parents, some 60+ persons have had the opportunity to hear and accept the gospel of our Savior, Jesus Christ. Thanks Mom and Dad for being such good examples and living testimonies.

No comments:

Post a Comment