Saturday, August 23, 2008

More Diary Notes From Mom

July 11, 1962

Dear Diary. I had to let Emiko go when we moved to Johnson from Yokota. We all miss her. We are enjoying Japan.

(This was our house on Johnson Air Force Base. We went to church at the top of the hill at Hilltop School. Notice our car, Betsy, parked in front).


July 28, 1962

Dear Diary. Jim and I were baptized into The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints by Don Lee Christensen. We are happy.


July 29, 1962

Dear Diary. Felt much better in church today. Feel more like I belong. I'll be confirmed first Sunday of August.

May 30, 1963

Dear Diary. I took my first ride on a Japanese train and subway today. Went to Tokyo to see "How The West Was Won". I went with friends. Had a very nice time.


July 4, 1963

Dear Diary. Today Carol got her first permanent so she is very happy. I also got my hair done. 1760 yen for both.


July 5, 1963

Dear Diary. I am cleaning house. Getting ready to move on base. Also made appointment with Dr. Sandall. Hope he can help me to lose lots of weight.


July 7, 1963

Dear Diary. Had a wonderful Fast and Testimony Meeting today. I hate to think of the Christensen's and Griswold's leaving. We will miss them very much.


July 8, 1963

Dear Diary. Went to see Dr. Sandall today. He wants me to get down to 120 lbs. By the help of the good Lord I'll make it.


July 9, 1963

Dear Diary. No fun not to eat what I want.


July 10, 1963

Dear Diary. Took one of my pearls. Had Jim a tie tack made for his birthday.


July 14, 1963

Dear Diary. Oh happy day. Jim was made an Elder today at conference. Don set him apart with Brother Anderson, David and Roy McClelland. Then Jim helped with Quinn.


July 15, 1963

Dear Diary. Jim is 31 today. Carol baked a cake and I frosted it. We had the Guynn's over for cake and ice cream. Had a nice visit.


July 16, 1963
Dear Diary. The Crowell's are give a luau tonight. All Hawaiian food. She is loaning me a mumu, Jim and Jimmy a shirt - all match.


July 17, 1963

Dear Diary. Did we have a ball last night. I like most of the food, but pineapple was best. I clowned a dance with Don. We had fun.


July 22, 1963

Dear Diary. Went to church. Lora Dee was our teacher. I hope someday I'll be able to talk with the ease she does.


July 24, 1963

Dear Diary. Went to Relief Society workmeeting at Hilltop School. I wasn't in too good a mood. Jim started two weeks leave yesterday.


July 25, 1963

Dear Diary. Went to Primary Preparation Meeting today. The last one this year and the last for Emily and Lora Dee. We will miss them.


July 26, 1963

Dear Diary. Went to Primary today. Edna and Gene were on their way to our house. They stayed for Primary. Susan and Nancy went home with them. Will get them on Saturday.


July 28, 1963

Dear Diary. Carol is 11 today. Jim got me the jewelry chest like I have been wanting.


July 29, 1963

Dear Diary. Registered the girls for school today. School starts 2th of August. Jim went with me for the first time. Carol will be in 6th, Susan 4th and Nancy 3rd.


August 5, 1963

Dear Diary. Jim and I were confirmed members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints today. Don Christensen confirmed us. What a wonderful feeling.

1 comment:

  1. thank you for sharing these, I love reading them, the voyeur in me coming out....lol.
    No I love the way Grandmom is so matter of fact....and my goodness does Helen look like her or WHAT !!

    ReplyDelete