Tuesday, April 10, 2012

National Sibling Day

Today, 10th of April is the National Siblings Day of 2012. It is the day to make happy and cherish our siblings which are truly a special blessing. Claudia A. Evart was the founder of this day, who initiated National Sibling Day after the tragic deaths of her brother and sister.
Nancy, me and Susan while living in Virginia just before Jimmy was born - 1958 or 1959.  Mom liked to have us dressed in matching dresses many times.  This time it was Susan and me. 
The emotional bond between siblings is often complicated and is influenced by factors such as parental treatment, birth order, personality, and personal experiences outside the family.
Susan, me and Nancy (1959).  We are standing in front of our old Chevrolet station wagon who was named "Betsy".  Each of us girls is also holding a little purse that Dad made for us while he was on TDY in Tulle, Greenland.
This is my little purse that I still have 53 years later.
This day celebrates one of the longest relationships most people will ever know that very special lifelong bond with brothers and sisters.
Front row...Nancy, Susan, me and Jimmy who looks like he needed to find a bathroom. 
Back row...Virgil Mix and Grandmother Mix (Cattell).  This was taken at their home in
Mountain View, Missouri on our way to Japan.
Siblings are the intricate fabric of our lives from birth to death.
At the Grand Canyon on our way to Japan.  Love Nancy's Flintstone's shirt and Susan's Huckleberry Hound.
We can share those special and not-so-special moments and memories in our lives which only a brother and sister can understand.
Celebrating Grandmother (Beulah Marinda) and Granddaddy (Dewey Cleveland) McGhee's 60th wedding anniversary.  Susan and I wear wearing corsages because we were helping serve refreshments. (1969 or 1970?)  I made all the dresses that the females are wearing.
I have three siblings.  I am the oldest, Susan is the middle daughter, Nancy is youngest daughter and Jimmy is the only son.

This picture was taken after church one day shortly before Susan was getting married to Dale. 
Look at the hair on Dad's head!
Each of us are definitely different with our own unique personalities.
This was taken the day Jimmy got married to Galena.
It's very sad to me that the older we've gotten the more we seem to have grown apart.  I seriously doubt that any of my siblings will ever come visit me out here in Wyoming.  I also doubt that I will be making too many trips down south when Mom and Dad are no longer with us.  I love my siblings and have many wonderful memories of things I've done with each and every one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment