Monday, April 30, 2012

After The Ball Was Over...

Getting Joe ready for bed each evening sometimes seems to be quite time consuming, but definitely a "necessary evil" whole lot of fun.  This is the normal routine...
  • taking his night time medications;
  • checking his last of the day blood sugar;
  • administering the two types of insulin to help maintain or lower the blood sugar for the night;
  • filling up his water reservoir for his bi-pap machine;
  • having nightly prayer;
  • kissing his sweet, puckered up lips;
  • placing his bi-pap face mask on his head and over his nose; and
  • tucking him into bed, turning out the light and shutting the door.  (And then maybe having an hour of some quiet time for myself).
But, something new has now been entered into the routine...
  • removing his two hearing aids;
  • opening them up to preserve the battery life; and
  • placing them into their protective night time case.
As I was doing all this last night, Joe commented that it almost felt like he was being disassembled.  I told him that it made me think of a song that I had learned years ago.  Why I ever learned this song or where I learned this song, I don't even remember.  But, here are the words...
    After the ball was over,
    Mary took out her glass eye,
    Put her false teeth in the water,
    Hung up her wig to dry,
    Put her peg leg in the corner,
    Hung her tin ear on the wall.
    There wasn't much left of poor M-a-r-eeeeeee
    After the ball!
http://youtu.be/qGJJdhUlWrY

No comments:

Post a Comment