Thursday, April 12, 2012

Simon and Garfunkle

 

April 12, 1969…Simon & Garfunkel released the single "The Boxer." One of the duo's most highly produced tracks, the song took more than 100 hours to record and was performed at multiple locations, including Nashville, St. Paul's Chapel in New York City, and Columbia studios. Rolling Stone magazine ranked the song #105 on their list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.




On Corey's 21st birthday, I took him to Atlanta.   Why I was taking him was a total surprise.  We've always had similar tastes in music and the purpose was to see Simon and Garfunkle in concert at the Phillips Arena on December 20, 2003.  He didn't find out until we got checked into our hotel and then I told him it was time to head out.  He was happily floored!

"The Boxer" has always been one of my favorite songs and throughout the concert they had not played it.  In fact, they left the stage and came back for an encore.  I remember I had my fingers crossed and was whispering, "please, please, please" that they would sing that song.  And then, it happened.  The strumming fingers on the guitar started to play those familiar cords.  I was one ecstatically happy woman - the concert was complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment