Friday, May 9, 2008

Remembering Things About Your Dad

I was sitting here mellowing out playing Solitaire and listing to my playlist when a Dan Fogelberg song came on and it brought back memories - good memories about your dad. I realized that there might be things that you don't remember or even know about your father. So, I thought I'd start compiling a list of little known or forgotten things about your dad. So here goes...

  • He loved Dan Fogelberg. I still have his favorite album here at the house and I had put some of those songs on my playlist because they bring back such good memories. I remember one time that we had returned to Louisiana from Georgia to pick up some more of his things to take back to our new apartment. When we arrived in Haughton, where he had been living with your Grandmother Nora, we discovered that someone had robbed and stolen several things from the trailer. It was in the wintertime and apparently the thieves had gotten scared off, because when we arrived your dad's favorite stereo equipment, speakers and albums had been left out in the damp. He managed to salvage everything, including the Dan Fogelberg album. There were many a night when the two of us would sit in an almost dark room sitting on the couch in front of the speakers listening to that album. It was always so very magical when this was happening as we'd sit there holding hands or sharing the couch just listening to the beautiful songs. So, listen to some of the songs - listen to the words.
  • Speaking of music - his favorite song sung in church was one entitled "Where Is Heaven?". I think Janice Kapp Perry wrote it and the first time he fell in love with it was when little Amy McKeown (Draper now) sang it in sacrament meeting one time. I remember your dad being so overcome by the words that tears were running down his face. That's why I would have given most anything to have had that song sung at his funeral.
  • But, lest you think your dad was a softie when it came to music...forget that!!! He loved good ole hard rock and roll, as well as country. The first concert he took me to after we'd met was a ZZ Top concert in Shreveport, Louisiana. I will confess I wasn't too impressed as that was not my type of music, but he would and could jam just like his son does now.

No comments:

Post a Comment