Sunday, May 11, 2008

The Chocolate Ice Cream Song

This is the first song I ever remember my mother singing to me. No matter how old I've grown, I've never tired of her singing this song (don't want her singing too many other songs, but love this one). I think every child, grandchild and most every great-grandchild has had it sung to them. I have a taped recording of her singing it somewhere in my home so that I would always have a copy of her actual voice. But, until I find it, if you click on the title of this blog, it will allow you to listen to someone else singing the song. However, no one will ever be able to sing it the way Grandmother does! And, even though some of the words of the actual song are different, I like her version much better.

"The Chocolate Ice Cream Cone Song"
(words as Mom always sang them)

My mama said if I'd be good, she'd send me to the store.

She said that if I would make the bed and watch the telephone,
That she would send me out to get a chocolate ice cream cone.

And so I did, the things she said and then she made me some gingerbread.
Then I went out, just me alone to get a chocolate ice cream cone.

While coming home I stubbed my toe upon a great big stick.
A little doggie came along and took a great big lick
And so I hit that mean old dog with just a little stick .

Then he bit me where I sit down and then he chased me all over town.
And now I'm lost, can't find my home, all because of that chocolate ice cream cone.

No comments:

Post a Comment