Sunday, August 12, 2012

Final Thoughts On The Last Daycation...

  • It was a perfect way in so many ways.  The weather cooperated with us.  We stayed in absolutely wonderful little motels for a very minimal cost.  There was no fussing or fighting or disagreements. 
  • While traveling to Hot Springs, Joe made the comment that he "doubted that he would ever see his brother, Floyd, alive".  I took it to mean that Floyd would most likely pass away before him as he had been sick and hospitalized recently.
  • We got to meet up with Roger and Connie.  Neither couple knew a few days before that the other would be in the same location at the same time.  And then, they who had no motel reservation in Rapid City, got the only remaining room left where we were staying and were put in the room right next to ours.
  • Joe and I got to have our picture taken together and that never happens for us. 
  • It was truly a miracle that Joe did not have his heart attack while we were in areas with no phone service and no access to medical attention.  I am truly grateful it didn't happen while he was with only me.
  • It was so good, so wonderful, so perfect that I would not change a thing.

The most special part of the trip though for me was what Joe did on the trip home.  Since I drive, Joe used to take lots of naps in the car when we weren't having some type of stimulating conversation.  I remember that we were on the interstate shortly after leaving the Vore Buffalo Jump.  We were riding down the highway when Joe tapped my right knee with his left fingers.  He had a certain way of doing that and it was always a sign of endearment.  It was his way of gently getting my attention, usually meant as a prelude where he would tell me he loved me.

This day when he tapped my knee, I turned to him and said:

Me:  Yes?
Joe:  Do you know how much I love you?
Me:  Why, yes do.  Why do you love me?
Joe:  Because you take such good care of me and you love me.
Me:  Yes, I do.  And, I love you too.

That was the last time I remember an exchange of "I love you"between.  If only I could go back and redo that evening, I would make sure that I told him at least once again how much I loved him.

No comments:

Post a Comment