Monday, August 13, 2012

A Celebration of Life

Joe's Celebration of Life was held on June 2 at 2:00.  The Relief Society had taken care of all of the arrangements and all of the kids had gotten together the table display things, including the plants and flowers, so primarily all I had to do was show up.

The program was held in the Relief Society and I remember when walking in seeing that it was totally filled.  (Unfortunately, I don't remember who all showed up, especially since many did not stay for the luncheon).  The program went as follows:

Pianist:  Adri Pehrson
Chorister:  Margaret Hein
Conducting:  Bishop Michael Kleinman
Opening Song:  Page 293 - "Each Life That Touches Ours For Good"
Opening Prayer:  Doug Olsen
Eulogy:  Corey Preston
Celebration Talk:  Cordell Wistisen
Closing Song:  Page 86 - "How Great Thou Art"
Closing Prayer: Chris Harris

(The participating men were some of Joe's favorite friends in the ward).

----------------------------------------------------------

The eulogy as written and read by Corey:


I am honored to participate in this celebration of life for Joseph Earl Weaver who began his life on September 21, 1945 as the second son of Walter Earl Weaver and Pauline Jacobs who have preceded him in death.  I will be adding my own loving points into these facts of his life, so take my bits of humor in this, not as disrespect, but as my way of honoring the man I knew.  Joe has an older brother and sister-in-law, Floyd and Mona who live in Indiana and he is the proud father of two sons, Brian and Jason.  Brian and his wife, Amy, and their four lovely daughters live in Ohio, but are here with us today.  Jason lives in Texas and has one child.  I am his stepson, Corey, and I have my wife, Nikki and our son.
Joe had a brilliant mind. Everyone that knew him knows exactly what I’m talking about. The amount of completely useless trivia as we called it, was amazing. The only problem is that for the most part you could actually check the facts and find that he was accurate. His jokes, however witty they may have been, always made you laugh for one reason or another.  He attended graduate school at Manchester College where he learned to speak Latin and received a degree. He then received a law degree at Indiana University.  During his work career, Joe worked as an attorney and later owned and operated a lawn irrigation business.
The first time I met Joe he was wearing a pink polo, shorty shorts, and old man shoes and socks.  As the son of the lady he was dating, it was hard not to start cleaning my gun.  Life as I know it with Joe began officially on July 24th, 2004 when he married my mother, Carol whom he loved very much.  They were married for almost 8 years and had an extraordinary life together, especially during the time since their move to Wyoming until his death on May 29th when he suffered his second heart attack. 
Joe had fought valiantly to overcome many, many medical conditions, especially during the last two years.  But, people who knew him said he always had a smile on his face and he never complained about his life’s circumstances.

Joe was baptized as a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and was later sealed for time and all eternity to my mother.  He served as the second counselor in the bishopric of the Tifton Ward in Georgia where he was responsible for the Primary children’s program.  He also enjoyed working with the Boy Scouts and for the last year, he volunteered at the Casper Senior Center and was a member of the Kiwanis Club. 

He had several hobbies over the years which included hunting, fishing and basketball.  He loved watching NASCAR races and football. He loved going off to places unknown with my mom.
Joe had a sense of humor.  He loved ice cream and huckleberry with a passion.  He wrote poetry, loved yard work and loved his dog, B.J.
He was my stepfather, but I loved him, even though he ALWAYS took my wife’s side on anything.  She could do no wrong in his eyes. I didn’t know him as a man in his younger years, but I did know him as the man who loved my mother, and that’s all I could ask for, for her.  May we be able to remember the good memories and laughs he gave us.

----------------------------------------------------------


Various flowers and plants sent by friends and family.  The table display had items brought from home to tell a little bit about Joe.

This table has Joe's cowboy hat and shirt, the picture taken of us in Albuquerque, New Mexico, a poem Joe wrote to me, a listing of things Joe loved and I loved about him and his box of remains.

Weaver girls, Corey, Brian, Steve, Jill and Brianna Shire, me talking to Don Detmers and Amy sitting at the table.

Corey and Brian

Weaver girls and daddy, Brian.

Me and Don Detmers

Derek and Corey


Claire and Brian

Amy, Rachel, Lauren and our neighbor, April.

Brian, me and Bishop Michael Kleinman.

Sheri and Doug Olsen, Kenny Fehyl, Kylie and Shannon Massey, Jocelyn and Summer Anderson.

Me and Derek.

I think this was when Brian was telling me the jalapeno story about him, his brother, Jason, and Joe. 


No comments:

Post a Comment