Saturday, June 14, 2008

For My Dad, Jim


Tomorrow is Father's Day. I've thought about what I would say on this blog for some time. What could I say to explain the love and admiration I have with my dad? He has always been the rock and the foundation of our family. I've always believed and respected everything he said. I may not have always liked what he said, but I always knew he had my best interest at heart.

I've been going through old pictures and papers that I've had stored away and ran across this poem that I wrote to Dad for Father's Day back in 1962. (Click on it and it will enlarge if you really want to read it).


I think I've had a more bonding relationship with my dad probably in the last ten years. That's when my life started making such drastic changes after my first marriage ended. My dad gave me the stability I needed and wanted and he also was a good example of what being a honest, devoted and loving man was and should be. Without his help, guidance and advice, I don't know where or what I would have done.

My two favorite times that I've spent with my dad that come immediately to my mind are:

- When I was a senior in high school I was having a hard time with my classes. There was a lot of pressure being put on me for my graduation requirements since I'd moved from a Florida high school to my new Georgia high school. State requirements were different and, therefore, I was required to take certain classes in order to graduate. I felt I was having a great deal of stress and during one of my conversations with Dad about all this he took me out for a talk. He took me to a nearby Dairy Queen, bought us an ice cream cone and we proceeded to discuss my problems. I don't remember the conversation, but I do remember how that time alone with him made me able to get through my senior year. In fact, I was on the Honor Roll the entire year.

- In early 2008, I had the opportunity of playing chauffeur to Dad when he needed to go to Atlanta for some extensive eye tests. We started off in Macon, came home that day and then left at 3:30 a.m. the next morning to be in Atlanta by 8:00 a.m. We arrived with absolutely no problems on the other side of Atlanta. In fact, we had to wait for about a hour and a half until his appointment and it was a very, very cold day. Anyway, we found out that we were going to have to spend the night so other tests could be run. We figured that might be a possibility, so we'd packed overnight bags. We found us a hotel room and then went to dinner. Next morning we went back to Dad's appointment and then headed home.

I loved the opportunity of doing this for Dad. I always felt it was meant for me to have this time with him. I was still unemployed, so taking time from work was not a problem; I knew Atlanta very well after living there for awhile. In fact, the doctor's office was located in the area I used to live and work. So, we never got lost and made all appointments on time.

This was also the first time in many, many years that I'd spent alone with my dad for a period of time. In fact, I can't remember the last time I'd eaten dinner alone with Dad. What a wonderful experience it was for me.

I've known that my dad always loved my mother. He was never an affectionate man, but he always kissed my mother hello and goodbye. (I remember he used to ask her to remove her hand from his knee when driving). But I'd never heard him tell her he loved her. In fact, he'd never told any of us he loved us. I think it was that strong Quaker upbringing he had growing up. I pointed that fact out to him a few years ago and he now tells us he loves us. I always knew he did, but it's nice to hear it from his lips.

My dad has been a righteous priesthood bearer. I'm grateful for the many blessings he has given me during my life time whether it's been a healing blessing, a blessing given at the beginning of each and every school year, a blessing given on my wedding day, blessings when I needed comfort, etc. He's been an example to my own child when he needed a good father figure and comfort and advice.

I've never heard an unkind thing said about my dad - wish the same were true for me. He seems to know everyone and everyone seems to know him. I've always said that if you look in the dictionary under the word "patriarch", his picture would be there. And, that is the way it should be. In the words of Corey "Granddad is the glue that holds this family together". I love you Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment