Monday, June 23, 2008

...And How Was Your Weekend?

I always love going back to work on Monday mornings. My desk sits in front of the door where EVERYBODY has to come in and so I sometimes feel like a Wal-Mart door greeter. "Good morning! How was your weekend? Really? Well, that's great! Yes, I know exactly what you mean!"

Why is it that the older I get the shorter the weekends seem to be? And, does anyone really care what anybody did during the two day span when we were all separated? You say you care? Great! Then I'll tell you what Joe and I did...

I slept in late - late being about 8:30 a.m. I had to climb up in the attic to look for things that I wanted to ship out to Utah and I had to do it before it became 500 degrees up there. I didn't quite know what I was looking for, but I knew that I'd know what it was when I saw it. And, I did. I will not be going back up there until sometime this fall when frost is on the pumpkins. I'm sure there will be an attic story for another blog, so stay tuned.

Anyway, I digress from my running weekend commentary...

Joe and I showered, separately I'll add. I'm all for conserving water, but, well never mind. We drove to Moultrie. We were on a mission. We needed to get to UPS Pack and Ship before they closed since Saturday is the only day we could make it there. We wanted to mail off Corey's wooden high chair that Derek will one day sit his cute little derriere in. Anyway, that took until after 2:00 p.m.!!! and we won't mention the amount. Our lips are super glued shut. Then it was off to Tifton where we went for a late lunch or early dinner and found a great cheap special for senior citizens. Thanks Joe for saving us that couple of dollars.





After being sufficiently sufficed and stuffed, we went window shopping for a king sized bed. OH MY GOSH!!! Did I say sticker shock?!?!? I'm still sleeping in the same bed I've had for 30 years. The solid oak Paul Bunyan, four postered bed is still great, but Joe and I need and want our space. Thus the reason for the window shopping. We hit about every furniture in store and the cheapest and least expensive bed, including the mattress and box spring, was $1500.00. That's almost the equivalent of spending 20 nights in a motel with a king-sized bed. That's about 100 great meals at Olive Garden, Outback, Red Lobster, Chili's, etc. I don't know what we're going to do. Wait for a great mattress and boxspring sale and then sleep on the floor? Oh, we could buy a king-sized frame and set them on that, I suppose and then I'll be chasing my pillows between the wall and the bed. Well, we won't be doing anything really soon since even the bedding is a fortune.


We then decided to head out to the Brookfield area and went to visit with Aunt Rachel. She looked marvelous and it was a great visit. Then it was on to see Aunt Alice. We drove up to her home and she was doing some serious jammin with her Jesus music! We had a wonderful visit with her too. She misses Uncle Calvin alot. And, we saw Helen before leaving Brookfield.

Then it was back to Tifton stopping at Wal-Mart and picking up necessary stuff and on home. I was starting to feel really bad - sore throat, runny nose, coughing, etc. I was beginning to sound like a Nyquil commercial. Especially after I took a good swig of Nyquil to knock myself out.
I did manage to get up when the alarm went off at 5:30 a.m., drop Joe off at the church for his Bishopric Meeting and then went and crashed on Mom and Dad's couch until it was time to head to Church. I was never so glad for Church to be over and to make it home. Once there, I headed into lala land after taking two, yes two, Benydryl. I made sure I set the alarm before going to bed so I would be sure to arise for work this morning. Did I mention I wanted to sleep? How about almost 16 hours straight!!!

So I did make it to work this morning after my wonderful diverse weekend...complete with my roll of soft toilet paper. And the morning started out with "Good morning. How was your weekend"? (BTW...my doctor decided to take pity on me and phoned in a presciptoin for a Z-pack without an appointment. So hopefully, it's goodbye cold and soon)! Just think, it's only five more days until another weekend rolls around. Waahoo!

1 comment:

  1. Have you seen the story of retirement where it is cheaper to spend your days on a cruise ship? They feed you, change your sheets, entertain,tec., all for about the same as a nursing home. Maybe you should just rent a room at a local motel. You could time-share it with family members who want to pretend they are on vacation. I have a very comfortable king size bed.

    ReplyDelete