Wednesday, July 27, 2011

You Just Never Know Until...

In a few hours it will be my birthday.  My 59th birthday.  I don't expect much from it mainly because I don't need or want anything.  I have all that I need and want really.  Oh, don't let me kid you - I'd love more money to do the things I'd like to do such as travel, hire a private trainer, someone to cook and clean for me - things like that.  But, in the real world, I have all that I want or need.

I've gone to the mailbox this week and every day has brought some new surprise there or the patio chair parked beside the front door has produced handmade goodies several times recently. 

I got an unexpected card the other day.  It read on the inside, "So glad to have a friend like you!  Happy Birthday".  And then written it said "You probably have no idea how much I admire you.  You are an incredible woman of strength and courage."

I don't know this woman very well other than she and her husband served a mission together, she is very sweet and so knowledgeable about the gospel and so nicely soft-spoken.  In other words, she is so totally the opposite of myself.  But, her words make me feel so wonderful in that she apparently sees in me what I feel I lack so many times.

Then another card arrived in today's mail.  Inside it read, "Thank you for all the kindnesses you showed me when you were my visiting teacher.  They helped me at a hard spot in my life.  Have a great birthday.  You are a super special lady.  I love your great sense of humor.  You are a fun person and great example of a follower of Christ."

Wow, once again the power of visiting teaching has shown me how much we can influence people even if we don't think we are.  I had no idea that this sweet woman felt this way about me, but I am so happy that apparently I have made a difference in her life.



And then finally tonight when I came home after working for almost 12 hours, there on my living room floor was a beautiful bag with presents and a handwritten card for me.  It read, "Dear Carol, Happy Birthday!!!  I just wanted to send my love and remind you how wonderful you are!  It has been such a blessing for us to know you and Joe.  A tender mercy...

Here's a little something for you to remind you 1st, of what an angel you are, and 2nd - that you always have angels watching out for you!  I just loved a part of this talk that reminded me of you because it was about angels.
I hope sometime when you ever get a moment or just need a pick-me up, you will read from this and be lifted. 
"God never leaves us alone," he says.  I know that's true.  Thanks for being the first person to reach out, love and be our angel this summer!  We love you guys!

The gift bag contained two angels and a beautiful talk by Jeffrey R. Holland about "The Ministry of Angels".  These gifts and the handwritten card are from a young couple who are here for only three months while the husband does some internship with the federal government.  I introduced myself to them their first Sunday, had them over for dinner and we've gone on daycation together, out to dinner and special lectures and I was made her visiting teacher. 
------------------------------------------------------
I just know it's easy to reach out and love people - especially in our ward.  That's what they did for us when we first moved here and they've never stopped doing it since.  Our ward is filled with angels in all shapes and sizes.  So, many thanks to all the unknown angels from the Weaver family.  Thanks for the anonymous goodies, the priesthood blessings, the phone calls, the cards, the visits, the tears of comfort and joy, the wonderful home teachers, the fantastic visiting teachers and all the other countless and unnamed peoples, in and out of our ward family that have been blessings in my life, in Joe's life.

Life is good.  Life is great, most of the time.  Life and love is a present that I enjoy having every single day - not just on my birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment