Friday, July 15, 2011

Dad's 79th Birthday

That's Dad helping me with an arts project that I'd made from a kit.  Yes, that is a cigar hanging from his mouth before he gave up smoking and joined the Church.  Don't you just love my Wyatt Earp sweatshirt?
It seems impossible that Dad is now 79 years old.  Where have the years gone?  I love my dad for so many reasons and I've written about those things in many previous blogs and they never change.

I recently discovered a church talk though that I'd written many years ago dealing with fatherhood.  I don't think I've included this in my postings before, but even if I have, it bears repeating...

"If someone asked me to describe my Dad, I would have to do so with the following:

- A man with a sparse head of hair, but who used to have lots of full, red hair.  Most was probably lost due to worry and concern for our family.  (Since I am the oldest child, I'm sure I've contributed to a great deal of the hair loss0.
- A man with big ears - ears that are willing to take the time to listen to the many problems and concerns his children and grandchildren have had over the years.  Ears which have listened to the promptings of the Holy Ghost and have helped guide our family.
- A man with wide eyes - eyes which love to just sit back and watch as life and people go by.  Eyes which can show genuine love and concern for his fellowmen.  Eyes which read the words of the Lord and incorporate them in his life.
- A man with a very large chest.  It has to be a large chest in order to hold his large heart with is filled with the love he has for his family, friends and the Lord.
- A man with long arms and big hands - arms big enough to encircle someone who really needs a hug or a big squeeze around the shoulders.  Hands large enough to cover our heads during a priesthood blessing.
- A man with big, broad shoulders big enough to bury your face into and sob out your sorrows and heartaches.  Somehow they have the ability to adjust in size.  When I was a small child, they were just the right size and somehow, they still seem to accommodate me even as an adult.
- A man with long fingers - finger which can point you in the right direction and give you a nudge to get you started.
- A man with an over-sized lap.  A lap which has always been large enough to hold one or many grandchildren all at the same time.
- A man with a big nose.  This nose has always seemed to sniff out potential problems, but he has always known when to keep his nose out of the way and other peoples business.
- A man with big knees - knees which have never been too proud to kneel and thank his Heavenly Father for his many blessings.
- A man with long legs - legs which are ready to be there in a moments notice to help and assist when needed.
- A man with a commanding voice - a voice which I've rarely heard speak ill of anyone, a voice that was his sole source of discipline, a voice that can hold you spellbound with the relating of stories and knowledge and a voice humble enough to speak of his love for his Saviour.
- A man with two big lips.  Though I can never remember ever hearing my father tell my mother vocally that he loves her, for as long as I can remember, he has always kissed her before leaving the house and returned home.  I have seen those two lips placed many times on the top of my head and the heads of his beloved grandchildren and the immediate love they have returned.

That's Dad, me and Jimmy at the home of the Christensen's who were very good friends of our family.
One last feature:  A man with two big feet - feet which stand firmly planted in his love of the gospel and the love of his family and friends.  Feet which have stood by the side of my mother's hospital bed during her many operations.  Feet which have stood behind each of his four children as he blessed us with special blessings during our lifetime whether it was on our wedding day, at the beginning of each school year, healing blessing, or for whatever reason.

Although I may have conjured up visions of a very grotesque-sounding man, I can tell you he looks quite like a handsome, ordinary man.

No, he's not always been the perfect father, most particularly when I felt he was too strict when I was growing up, but I have always respected and loved him for his dedication to his family and church callings.  He is an excellent example of a priesthood holder and I know he loves the Lord".

It was after my Dad heard this talk and when he heard me mention that I'd never heard him tell my mom that he loved her, that he made a change.  He began to do so every day and he even starting telling me how much he loved me.

I love my dad with all my heart and I hope that if it's God's will, I will be able to celebrate his 80th birthday with him next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment