Thursday, July 21, 2011

Some People Wouldn't Be Happy If You Hung Them With A New Rope...

...this is based on a saying that I've heard my dad say my entire life.  It think it's quite an appropriate way to describe this part of my life.  It's my new job.  Why would I be writing about my new job in a semi-negative way?  After all, I was unemployed for five months and now I have a job.  A job that has very nice accommodating people, nice working conditions, a better than average hourly wage, two bathroom breaks a day, etc., etc., etc.

My job has made me venture into unknown territory.  I hardly ever and rarely do any real typing on my computer - that's primarily for imputing numbers and I was used to doing some serious typing as well as designing and using spreadsheets.  None of that here.  In fact, I use a typewriter.  Yes, a typewriter to enter information on recreational titles.  This is what a typewriter looks like just in case you've never seen one or have forgotten what it looks like:


I am doing a lot of counting - counting Vehicle Identification Numbers (VIN) to make sure the correct amount of numbers and letters are present.  Were you aware that there are 17 numbers and letters per VIN?  I wasn't either, but I am now.

I answer the telephone - lots and lots of  "Good morning.  Stalkup's RV.  This is Carol.  How may I help you?  Thank you.  I transfer you to that department".

I shuffle lots and lots of paper - MSO's, titles, insurance agreements, credit applications, credit checks, title reassignments, picture ID's, power of attorneys, etc., etc., etc.

I enjoy my work, well at least when I know what I am doing and at this point in time, I don't feel like I know enough or am learning quickly enough.  This is all causing me to doubt my ability to learn which makes me feel inadequate and even insecure.  I feel quite certain that the very nice person who is training me has probably lost quite an amount of her hair from frustration.  My work self-esteem seems to be doing a violent nose dive and I'm hoping that I will be able to save myself by pulling some ripcord before it's too late.

I just know that something has got to happen one way or the other before I crash and burn - I can't handle too many more restless nights and lack of good sleep, feeling like my heart is being squeezed in someone's fist, the morning headaches, the stomach cramps, etc., etc., etc.  My final prayer each morning is pleading with Heavenly Father to help me retain what I'm being taught.  I just hope He hasn't gone on summer vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment