Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Gratitude


The only people with whom you should try to get even are those who have helped you. ~John E. Southard

One of my visiting teachers called today. She'd heard about Joe being in the hospital. I had only told a couple of close friends in my ward about this hospitalization. Both of these friends would do anything for me without hesitation if asked. They would have answered my terrified 12:45 a.m. phone call if I'd made it. But I didn't as I do realize that not everyone needs to know the trials and tribulations that take place in my home until such time as I feel comfortable bringing them into the loop. Everyone has worries in their lives and I try to minimize my contributions when possible. Why is it so much easier for me to help them than to accept their offers of help to me? I don't want to add to the stress and burdens that everyone has no matter who you are.

Anyway, Casey called me at work and wanted to know what she could do for me. I certainly didn't need a casserole or some cookies. I'd already prepared meals that need to be eaten. But, during the course of the conversation an answer to so many of my prayers was realized. I go to work each day hoping and praying that nothing happens to Joe while I'm gone. I don't want something to happen such as it did yesterday morning. I don't want to come home and find him lying on the floor unconscious or even worse. Working 45 miles away from home makes many days stressful for me. Casey told me her husband works at home and with them living just a few blocks away, he would be available to stop by and check on Joe if I had concerns. And, she proceeded to give me his cell phone number. Though others had offered this before, it never seemed to be a comfortable fit for me, but this one did and does.

So I have gratitude for my two close ward sisters/friends who have been such a wonderful support through each and every one of Joe's hospital stays and those visits to me in between. I'm grateful for my visiting teachers that I've had during the move here. I'm grateful for Casey for her insight to what I need and the answer to my prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment