Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Hospital Stay #4 - 11/2/10

I enjoyed my long weekend too well. When I should have gone to bed at my usual 10:00 pm to get up at 4:00 am, I was still playing around on my computer. I was thinking about all the things I'd like to write on my blog. I haven't written much on the blog in the last few months. Life got a little bit crazier than I'd like it to be and a little less "normal" and planned. So, I went to work Monday morning feeling like I had only had three good hours of sleep. And I had. I'd only had three good hours of sleep since it was about 1:00 am when my eyes finally closed.

Monday evening after coming home, picking up Joe to ride with me to drop off dinner at a friend's home, and then fixing and eating our dinner, I decided it was time for me to go to bed early. Around 9:00, I kissed my sweetie, wished him luck that his Indianapolis Colts would win their football game, I went and crawled in bed.

Somewhere around 12:30 am, I woke up out of a perfectly wonderful sound sleep - not to use the bathroom, not to the barking of the dogs, not because of a bad dream. I noticed the light outside the bedroom door which indicated the light was still on in the living room. That's normal some evenings because Joe will sometimes sleep on the couch so as to not disturb my rest and leaves a light on so he can see his way to the bathroom. I turned over in the bed to settle in again, but decided I should get up and see when Joe was coming to bed.

I walked into the living room and discovered him lying totally straight and prone, face down on the carpet. My first thought was what was he doing like that. I called his name, called it again only louder as I walked towards him. That's when the panic began to set in. No answer from him and no movement from him. I hurriedly rolled his body which which felt like what I would imagine to be his dead weight. He was saturated with water and discovered that sometime he had apparently vomited. Still no response and I wondered if he was indeed still alive. I got my answer when I saw breath coming from his mouth and that he mouth needed to be cleaned out. I ran to the kitchen, got some clothes to clean out his mouth. I then tried to check his blood sugar, couldn't get blood, tried again, but had misplaced his monitor. It was then that I knew I needed to get him on his side and call 911. The wait for the ambulance to arrive seemed to take forever. I had to throw on some clothes, unlock the front door, still speak to the person on the end of the line and try to hold Joe up on his side.

The EMT's arrived and were never able to have him regain consciousness and prepared him for the ride to the hospital.

Each and every morning before I put my car in park, I have a prayer and some conversation with my Heavenly Father. One of the things I always ask for is to bless Joe in whatever he does and to guide and protect him while I am gone throughout the day. I also ask for patience and guidance and wisdom to know how to help and care for Joe.

My prayers were answered once again yesterday morning. Small miracles became a big blessing for Joe and me. (1) I woke up for no apparent reason. (2) I got up to check on him rather than just rolling over and going back to sleep. (3) Since Joe had gotten physically sick, somehow he wound up face down rather than still lying on his back. Had that not happened, he would have drown in his own vomit most likely. (4) I had the wisdom to know to turn him on his side. Because of these miracles and blessings, there is a wonderful outcome to all of this.

Though Joe wound up in the hospital and no reason for the unconsciousness has been determined, he is doing wonderfully well now and should be home tomorrow if all goes well.

These pictures show something that has been stuck up one of Joe's nostrils. The parmedics had to insert a tube into his throat through his nostril to help him to breathe. It has had to remain in his nose since then until the blood clots or he could bleed to death.


No comments:

Post a Comment