Sunday, July 19, 2009

Comments to Jen's Comments

Earlier this month, Jennifer had said in her blog... "Comment to this post and I will give you 5 subjects/things I associate you with. Then post this in your Blog and elaborate on the subjects given". So, I decided to go for it and this is what I got in return...

1. Crafts - yes I used to do LOTS of crafts in my younger days and when it seemed I had lots more time to do so. I taught myself how to do counted cross-stitch and enjoyed that for many years, particularly when I was working at the law firm. It was a great stress reducer for me. I've made lots of "do-dads", but never things from shells or those crochet thingies that you stick a Barbie into and then put over your roll of toilet paper. It seems as though I've done most arts and crafts, but my favorite was working with wood and making one-of-a-kind pieces. I owned my own band saw, would pick out my own lumber, cut out the pieces myself, sand, paint and decorate the pieces - 3 dimensional. I sold my pieces, I gave away my pieces and kept very little. I would still love to do crafts on occasion, but realize I don't really have the time, patience or fortitude to do them ever again.

2. Providing quality child care - Did childcare basically out of necessity as a young mother. I wanted to be home with Corey, be my own boss and have more control of my life. My first child was Jasmine Clements who was with me for 5 years and was married just last month. I was in the child care business in my home for almost 13 years and can't believe I did it that long. It was a good job with good money, lousy hours, great children, some crappy parents and was one of the reasons my first marriage began to crumble. I was good at what I did and won the recognition as the "Georgia Family Child Care Provider Of The Year". My experience allowed me to go on and become a consultant/trainer for others working in the child care field for another six years.
3. Elton John - (Why Jen would pick this one is a puzzlement to me from her perspective). I've been in love with his music since about 1972 when I saw the movie "Friends" and his music was included which the song "Your Song". Every time I hear that song I remember that I was dating a sailor who was off on ship for six months and I was missing him. "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" reminds me of the disco era and dancing to that song in a pub in England with John McLean. 4. Bold long distance moves into the great unknown - Yes, I have made several of these whether it's been short trips or this latest big, bold, permanent move into the great unknown. Out of all the kids in my family, it would be safe to say that I have done more traveling than anyone. There have been the trips to every state in the U.S. except for Alaska, North Dakota and Vermont; Canada; Mexico; three trips to England and Scotland; one to France; Wake Island and Japan. With my new location, maybe I can conquer Alaska and N. Dakota in the coming months? (I think the furry kids have even traveled more than most folks). Travel has never frightened me. Maybe it was knowing that I was going to experience something new and different that kept me going - just like now with our weekend excursions. 5. Egg Foo Young - Gosh, I'd forgotten that I used to make this quite often. Maybe Jen ate it a lot and either enjoyed it or hated it. Wow, I may have to make some more of it sometime now that it's been fused into my brain again. It's really quite easy...
Get a box of Rice-a-Roni Fried Rice and cook according to the directions. Let it cool - the refrigerator works well. When ready, add in fresh or canned peas, drained, some soy sauce, scallions, mushrooms and beat in some eggs (enough to make it soupy). Then dip out concoction onto a heated grill or skillet. When brown on one side, flip over and brown the other side. These are now ready to eat. So thanks Jen for taking me down some memory lanes I'd not traveled for awhile. Now would you tell me why you thought of those five things for me?!

1 comment:

  1. Hee!

    You listened to a lot of Elton John when we lived with you. Sir Elton (to put it politely) isn't my cup of tea (although I do like "Tiny Dancer" and "Your Song"- but if I never hear "Don't Go Breakin' My Heart" ever again I would be very happy :P), but I always associate him with you.

    Egg Foo Young was another thing from when we lived with you- I had it for the first time then, but I don't think I've had it since.

    ReplyDelete