Thursday, October 30, 2008

Day Three and Four - Job Hunting In Laramie


I rolled into Laramie late afternoon Wednesday. I had planned on leaving Casper early morning, but plans changed. I got a call to come in for another job interview and wasn't about to tell them "no". Then I spent some time checking out possible house rentals in Casper. Drove to a cute little house which would be very convenient to any job I might get in Casper.

On the way out of town, I stopped in Glenrock which is about 15 miles south of Casper. I was meeting a real estate agent to check out a rental in the country which was next to the Platte River. It was a double wide located on a gravel road with 2.5 acres and a very, very large double garage - a great place to put the car and the dogs when the weather turns cold. I think it would be a great place to live, but what do we do when we have to drive to Casper for work and the roads are covered with snow and ice? (When people talk about the winters up here, it's not really the snow and ice they talk about, but rather the wind. I've noticed that the wind does blow alot around here. It doesn't matter if you fix your hair or not because the minute you step outside - whew, it's rearranged).

Anyway, it was a four hour drive up and down rolling sagebrush covered hills to Laramie. I say that so that you might understand how almost impossible it is to have a conversation on your cell phone. The last part of the trip had the best scenery. It was in the mountains. The elevation climbed to about 8,000 feet and the temperature dropped some 20 degrees and the ears were popping.

First impressions of Laramie - not my favorite place I've stayed in Wyoming. (That's a picture of one part of downtown Laramie). It's a large college town with the University of Wyoming located here and that is the major "industry" here. I'm sure it probably has great qualities, but at this point, I'm not sure I want to find out what they are right now. I don't think this town even has a Wal-Mart, it has a K-Mart, but can I actually live in a town with no Wal-Mart?!?! And pickup trucks. Did I mention the amount of pickups around here? OMG!!! They're everywhere!

Day Four - I had my plan of attack planned for the day...Contact all the people at the University and do follow-ups with them, as well as an attorney and check out the local WorkForce office. That didn't take as long as thought, so for the first time in a very, very long time, I had a little bit of down time. I even actually ate a real sit down lunch today. Wow! That was a big deal for me. No real interviews today with the right people - just telephone conversations and pre interviews with people that might not make a difference. And, the real estate bombed out too. So, unless something changes between now and the time I leave this glorious state, Laramie won't be our new home. BTW - saw a real chipmunk today.

Tomorrow is Friday and it's on to Utah to see the kids. Yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment