Monday, October 27, 2008

Day One - Job Hunting in Casper



















So off I went into the cold, cruel world. And, I do mean cold!!! The wind chill was 14 degrees. When I went out to the car, there was some of the strangest frost all over my car. I used my Piggly Wiggly grocery card to scrap it off - it was so thick and artistic looking.

First stop this morning was to WorkForce which is the equivalent of our Department of Labor. I got some "go sees" set up that consisted of following up on letters already sent and also new places to go. No nibbles on jobs today though. And, the housing situation is looking pretty bleak around here too. There is no shortage of jobs, but certainly is a shortage regarding rental properties.

My funniest experience today was driving around an office park today and coming upon about six pronghorn antelopes or deer (whatever they are). They were walking down the middle of the street like an animal parade with no regard to all the buildings, cars and people around them. You don't see things like that in Omega.

I called seven area bishops tonight picking their brains for real estate contacts. That was fun since I'm sure they were thinking in the beginning that here was an out-of-towner claiming to be a Mormon who was going to need some type of assistance like money, food, etc. I heard all those kind of stories when I worked for David Perry when he was the bishop. Nine out of ten times it was some non-Mormon person dunning for money and giving some hard luck story. I assured these bishops I wanted nothing from them other than names and/or contacts, if possible. It all came out good as I have several names to call tomorrow. We'll see what happens, huh?

Now it's time to go to bed. The clock here may say it's about 10:30 p.m., but my body thinks it's 12:30 a.m.

(Thanks to Susan for the use of her laptop). And, what a wonderful job she did with The Wall. I'll be writing more about that later along with some pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment