Thursday, September 25, 2008

Life's Surprises


As I said in an earlier blog, Monday was my last day as the Human Resources Assistant at COI. I've had some people ask me if I thought I had wasted my time since I'd only been there seven months. I say "absolutely not"! If I'd never gone to work there, I would never have:
  • gotten new work experience working in the Human Resources field;

  • met all the wonderful people who came into my life - 200+;

  • most likely had my faith renewed in myself that people appreciated what I did in an office setting (read the P.S. below and this will help explain this);and

  • met Tami Sandiford who was my "boss lady". I loved working with her. She made going to work a pleasure each and every day. I knew there was something special about her the first time I ever met her. Not only was she my manager, but she became my friend. Leaving her on Monday almost broke my heart knowing that we would not ever be working together again. We exchanged gifts for each other that afternoon before I left, but the card she gave me meant the most. I share it with you...

I love you and will miss your sweet spirit Tami. You taught me so much and I will never forget you.
-------------------------------------------------
P.S. Then as if that wasn't emotional enough for me...

When I was checking my email that evening...I received an email from the person who had been my Executive Director at my last job. I had left that job not having good feelings about her as it seemed that everything I did was always wrong. I felt that I was being cheated out of promises made and not honored. I was never able to find out what the problems were between the both of us. I got along with everyone else in the office, with my child care providers and others I came in contact with, but always seemed to be doing something wrong when it came to her.

Anyway, I got an email which basically said... "I am writing to express an overdue apology to you for some of my actions during your time at ...while I was there. I was way too hard on you Carol. Looking back, I put my trust in the wrong people. I automatically believed things that I was told ... things that I now question over and over again. I sincerely hope you are doing well. I have thought of you and Joe often. Know that I send best wishes and prayers your way".

This all occurred a year ago and it was amazing to read this after all these many months. The next day we spoke on the telephone for a long time and totally cleared the air. I think it takes a very big person to do what she did and I have the up most respect for what she did. I will never feel uncomfortable being around her and consider her a friend. I'm just sorry for all the opportunities we missed when we could have gotten to know each other even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment