Monday, July 21, 2008

My Memories of the Apollo 11 Moon Landing

Since yesterday was the 39th anniversary of the "first step on the moon", I thought I'd share what I had written in my diary during that time period. (Has it really been 39 years!?! Wow, I am getting old)!

July 16, 1969

Dear Diary,
Today the astronauts took off for the moon. I heard the blast off and it just sent chills all over my body. It was a perfect lift off and they are still going towards the moon. They are Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins. It just seems impossible for someone to be going to the moon. I'm happy too that I'm living in this phase of history.

July 18, 1969

Dear Diary,
The astronauts are still okay.

July 20, 1969

Dear Diary,
I'm now listening to the broadcast of Apollo 11. They landed on the moon just perfect. They are going to step out on the surface of the moon soon! Well, they did it! At 10:56 EST, Armstrong stepped out on the surface. I was downstairs in the living room with Nancy, Susan and Mom.

July 21, 1969

Dear Diary,
The astronauts got off the moon safely and caught up with the ship "Columbia". It still just seems incredible about man going on the moon.

These pictures are from a newspaper I've saved since 1969. I was almost 17 years old and about to be a senior in high school. We were living in Valdosta, Georgia where Dad was stationed in the Air Force at Moody AFB. As you can see by the article on the right-hand side, the Vietnam war was in full swing. Unknown to us at the time, in a little less than a year, Dad would leave for Saigon, Vietnam for a one year tour of duty. (It would be interesting to follow-up on the guys in the article and see what became of them - did they make it back stateside, are they still living, what did they do once the war ended, etc.).

(Click on the link below and you will see the footage as we saw it on TV).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMINSD7MmT4

No comments:

Post a Comment