Tuesday, July 8, 2008

It's A Good Thing Joe Is Cute and Funny or else...

Last night while surfing through the TV channels I suddenly stopped and proceeded no further. I realized I had just reached the high point of my day when I saw that the movie "First Knight" was just beginning! I've loved this movie every time I've seen it. If I believed in reincarnation, I know that I lived in medieval times in England since I am so in love with that time period and country. I knew what I was going to be doing for the next many, several, numerous minutes. Drooling and loving every minute of it. How could I not? Richard Gere and Sean Connery in the same movie. Richard is so fine a man to watch in any movie I've seen him in, as well as Sean. Don't you just love his voice? I could listen to him read the telephone book and never move a muscle. Anyway, back to the movie...

The movie opens with Lancelot fighting in small villages for money. While traveling to the next village, he chances by the carriage of Lady Guinevere, and helps spoil an ambush meant to kidnap her. Afterwards, Lady Guinevere refuses the advances of Lancelot.

Later, he arrives in Camelot and successfully navigates an obstacle course called the "Gauntlet", which wins him an audience once again with Lady Guinevere, and her husband-to-be, King Arthur. While staying in Camelot, Guinevere is kidnapped by Malagant's followers. In a daring rescue attempt, Lancelot feigns the role of a messenger only to escape with Guinevere and return her to Camelot. Once again, Lancelot tries to win her heart, but is unsuccessful.

Overflowing with gratitude, Arthur makes Lancelot a knight of the round table. Moments before swearing loyalty to his new queen, a messenger from Lyonesse arrives, with dire news that Lyonesse has been attacked by Malagant.

Arthur leads his troops to Lyonesse, successfully defeating Malagant's forces in the process. Upon returning to Camelot, Lancelot feels guilty about his feelings for the queen, and in private announces his departure to her. She grants him a kiss, which turns into a passionate embrace, just in time for the king to interrupt.

Lancelot and Guinevere are charged with treason. The open trial in the great square is interrupted by a surprise coup by Malagant, ready to burn the town and murder Arthur if he does not swear loyalty to Malagant. In his final moments, Arthur commands all present, "To fight! Fight like you've never fought before! Never surrender! Never Surrender! Fight as you never..." and is struck in the chest by four crossbow bolts, after which he says, "Camelot lives!" A battle between Malagant's army vs. Camelot's soldiers and citizens ensues. Lancelot and Malagant face off amongst the crowd of people battling one another. Just as Lancelot is about to be killed by Malagant, he grasps Arthur's fallen sword, Excalibur, which grants him the strength and power to gain the upper hand and kill Malagant.

The soldiers and citizens of Camelot win the battle, but Arthur dies of his wounds. On his deathbed, he asks Lancelot to "take care of her for me" - a
double entendre referring to both Camelot and Lady Guinevere. The movie closes with a funeral raft carrying Arthur's body floating out to sea.

Aaaahhh, be still my beating heart!!! And, kudos to Joe for putting up with my sighing and drooling.

If you like, enjoy the music from the movie. It was great also.

First Knight by Jerry Goldsmith

2 comments:

  1. I love the scene where he gives her the water dripping from a leaf. The cassting for that movie could not have been any better. I too am sucked in every time I chance on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read many reviews which just really trashed this movie. But, I believe that some withered up old men must be the ones who set through it while their wives sat there with bibs tied around their necks to catch their drooling over Richard and Sean. And, I do think Julia Ormond was a perfect Guinevere. Can't believe that movie came out in 1995 and I saw it the first time in the theater. Loved the music too!

    ReplyDelete