Tuesday, July 22, 2008

5 Years or 10 Years?

It's time for me to renew my driver's license. In fact, if I don't hurry up and get my paperwork finished, I'll have an expired license! I can hardly believe that five years have already passed and it's time for a new license. Where did the time go? Hmmm, got over my divorce, got remarried, gained a lovely daughter-in-law, lost a job, got a job, gained a grandbaby, etc., etc., etc. with all the fun in between.

The dilemma is this...I have the option to renew for another five years or ten years. Georgia Department of Driver services state "due to vision requirements, all drivers over 59 years of age will only receive a 5-year term license". So, I don't have to consider that restriction since I'll only be 56.

I guess the question is where and what do I expect to be doing in five or ten years? Why would I need just a five year license? I expect that I will still be working in ten years - I'll be about ready to retire then and eligible for social security benefits? I know I'll stay here in Georgia as long as Mom and Dad are still with us so I don't plan on moving out west anytime soon since I expect them to be around forever. Hopefully Joe's health will be stabilized and he'll be working or volunteering somewhere in the community. So, it would appear that I need the ten year license, right?

Do you realize that would mean not renewing my license until 2018? Wow! Just think, Derek will be almost 11 years old, Joe and I will have been married for 14 years, Mom and Dad will have been married for 67 years and we will have had a wonderful celebration for them on their 65th wedding anniversary. Nancy could be a great grandmother! Think of all the weddings that could take place in the next ten years...Susan, Travis, Sarah, Matthew, Jed, Jimmy, Ally, Tabi, Madeline, Isabella. Think of all the other new grandchildren that could be born and how much of increase we could have in our family. Who might be going on missions? Where will we all be living? Doesn't it just boggle your mind?!

Question to anyone wishing to speculate..."What else could happen during the next 10 years - particularly in our family?" "What would you like to happen in the next 10 years?" "

2 comments:

  1. Please do not make my children grow up any faster than they already are! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made you think though, huh? It is kinda mind blowing to realize things that can occur in ten years.

    ReplyDelete