Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Word of the Year 2011?

For the past two or three years, several of us family members have selected our own special "Word of the Year". Last year my word was "Patience". I wrote...

"I chose this word because of continued changes that are occurring in my life mainly because of Joe. Joe continues to experience health problems and they seem to be occurring more often. He is now putting eye drops in his eyes for glaucoma and his eyesight is slowly failing. He continues to experience problems with keeping his blood sugar under control which still creates problems with his kidneys. If the truth were known, I could start at the top of his cute fuzzy head down to his eight toes and point out problems along the way. Because I'm gone so much of the day and Joe is left on his own, this causes a great deal of stress on me from time to time. And, I don't see this getting any better. So, patience is the perfect word for me this year:

1. Patience to understand how Joe feels and have more compassion for him.
2. Patience with Joe when he doesn't do as I think he should or as quickly as I think he should. 3. Patience with getting things done when I want them done as they relate to myself.
4. Patience to deal with the changes in Joe's health.
5. Patience to deal with the changes I'm beginning to experience.
6. Patience to understand that things don't happen just because I want them to. I'm sure there are more instances where patience comes into play in my life other than waiting in lines or waiting on paydays or the regular day-to-day occurrences. I just want patience and I want it now!!!"

I didn't do a very good job with my "patience" word last year. In fact, I could use the same word again, but I'll just add another word to it.

My word for 2011 is "Joy". I want this year to be a happier year for Joe and I. I want us both to find something to be joyous about every day. The definition of "joy" is:

1. a deep feeling or condition of happiness or contentment
2. something causing such a feeling; a source of happiness
3. an outward show of pleasure or delight; rejoicing


Wouldn't it be great if we could all find joy each and every day. After all, our Heavenly Father said "Men are that they might have joy". I have found joy thus far this year because of the kindness and generosity of neighbors, strangers and friends. I've found joy in that Joe's health has thus far been manageable - his blood sugar seems to be more manageable, he's had fewer doctor appointments, the dialysis process is getting easier to accept. I've found joy in my work in that my supervisor and co-workers seem to appreciate my work. I'm finding more joy in my marriage in that the stress of last year seems to be easing off. I'm finding joy in being able to do things I've wanted to do.

2011 is off to a good joyous start.

No comments:

Post a Comment