Monday, January 3, 2011

Taking Down The Christmas Tree

The brightly lit festooned tree seen below was our Christmas tree this year. It was a real tree. It wasn't really a Christmas tree. It was my artificial ficus tree. I hung my special ornaments that I'd saved throughout the years and those included some that Corey had made when he was in either in Kindergarten or 1st grade. So, no dismantling of the tree took place this year. (By the way, the light coming in through the windows is the reflection of the street lights and city lights on the snow).

I do remember how devastated I was one year though when a Christmas tree was being taken down by my mom. We were living in Virginia and I was either 6 or 7 years old. I loved Christmas. We had a live Christmas tree and the needles were falling off the tree and it was definitely past its usefulness. Mom started taking off the tinsel and the ornaments and I asked her what was going to happen to the tree. She told me it was going to be taken out and throw by the side of street so the trash men could take it away. That did it for me. I begged and cried and pleaded for that not to happen. It was almost like she was killing the tree. I remember going into the bathroom and sobbing my heart out. My mom came in and somehow she finally managed to console me.

I do think I remember that my mom always wanted one of those silver tinsel trees. And, you had to have one of those color wheels so that your tree would turn different colors.

I do know that she did love the light bulbs like these - the aqua blue colored ones were her favorite. She always wanted a dress made from that color of material, but I don't remember if she ever did get that or not. Mom always made Christmas memorable and special.


Thanks Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment