Saturday, January 8, 2011

How To Make Fried Rice

I've been asked on several occasions how I make my fried rice. Somehow I've managed to replicate it to how I remember eating it when we lived in Japan. My parents used to take us to eat at the NCO Club and I remember my favorite dish I used to order was the fried rice. So, here is the way I make mine.

Step 1. I always make my rice at least one or two nights before I assemble the fried rice. Never use instant rice! I cover it and put it in the refrigerator until it's needed.

Step 2. Break up any rice balls. This is best done by hand.

Step 3. I add a packet of this fried rice seasoning to the rice.

Step 4. Mix in the seasoning well. (For a large bowl of fried rice, use two packets. These packets can be purchased at Wal-Mart or check in the Oriental aisle of the grocery store).

Step 5. Add your favorite meat to the seasoned rice. I added ham which is the original way I remember eating it. But, you can add chicken, pork, beef, bacon or any meat you might have on hand. This is a great way to use leftover meat.

Step 6. Add fresh sliced mushrooms.

Step 7. Add thawed peas. Also add some diced carrots, if you desire.


Step 8. Scramble some eyes and add to mixture.

Step 9. Lightly mix all ingredients together.

Step 10. I then "fry" the rice on either my pancake griddle or in a large frying pan. Pour a little oil on the surface so that the rice won't stir as it's being stirred. Add soy sauce to individual taste.

Step 11. Just before serving, sprinkle thinly sliced scallions/green onions on the fried rice.

Step 11. This is what it looks like when completed. So, now it's time to eat your cha han!


2 comments:

  1. hose were the days! I have forgotten alot of things but not the club fried rice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, you remember that? Do you remember how good it tasted?!

    ReplyDelete