Sunday, January 8, 2012

Cooking Some Wild

Our neighbor, Mark, who lives across the street, gave us a Christmas present this year of an elk roast.  He'd heard me say that I had really enjoyed some elk ribs I've had in Jackson, Wyoming one time.  So, when I gave him his baked goodies Christmas present, he ran into his house and brought out the roast.

I decided I would cook it for our dinner today.  I'd never cooked elk before.  Didn't even know where to begin except to hop onto the internet and see what I could find out.  I wanted to see if it would be possible to cook it in a crock pot so that it would be cooking away while we were at church.  Yep, there were lots of recipes for that.  But, most of them suggested marinading it overnight.  Now to pick a marinade that I had all the fixin's for. 

So, I blended some soy sauce, some Worcestershire sauce, and a packet of mesquite grilling powder.  Then I stabbed the meat a few times with a knife on both side, smeared the thick liquid concoction all over it, placed it in the refrigerator and went to bed.

This morning I put it into one of my crock pots, added some water (for extra gravy according to the internet) and turned it up on high and started the cooking.  All went well, it was so tender you could cut or flake it with your fork.  The flavor was just right and the gravy tasted really good over my homemade mashed potatoes.  Not bad for a girl from South Georgia who'd never cooked elk before.

I think I may have to take Mark some more baked goodies!

No comments:

Post a Comment