Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day 2010 For Dad


I knew growing up that while Dad was in the Air Force that he went lots of different places flying on board at KC-97. I knew that not because I could remember the times and places he was gone - after all he started doing his TDY's when I was only a year old and who can remember things when they are that young?! I knew that because of pictures taken while he was gone. I knew that because of mementos he brought back. I knew that because I do remember waiting for him to return on occasions beside an airfield or in a holding room.

I spoke with him today to get a rundown on the years and places he used to be deployed:

1952 and 1954: Morocco


1953: He was stationed in Mildenhall Air Base, England. While there he would make other trips where he would fly to Libya, then Cyprus, then Germany and then on to Norway before returning again to England.























1958: His last TDY was to Thule, Greenland

One of the few pictures with Dad smoking a cigar...

Other places he went: The Azores and Bermuda and Gander, Newfoundland which were stopovers to and from Europe.

Look how much Jimmy and Corey look like Dad in this picture!

Look! It's Mom in the paper. (She's the short one).

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I absolutely love these photos. I can't believe how much everyone looks like Granddad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, no mistaking that some of us definitely look like my Dad!

    ReplyDelete