Sunday, May 9, 2010

Momma Mia!

In honor of Mother's Day, I decided to place some pictures of Mom that I recently came across...

This picture of four lovely ladies came at the conclusion of a day spent in a beauty shop while we lived in Japan. Don't you just love the big, boufant, laquered down with hair spray do's? And, in case you don't recognize us we are from left to right - Mom, Nancy, Susan and me. If I correctly remember, this picture was taken by our dear family friend Mr. Bill (see January 23, 2008 blog).



I don't recall or recognize the location of this picture below. I do know that:

  1. it was probably taken in Japan probably about 1964 or 1965 because Mom has a cast on her foot. The cast came about when Mom went ice-skating in Tokyo with me and some of the other young men and women from our little church branch. While out of the ice, Mom slipped and fell and wound up with a cast on her foot.
  2. I do know that the dress was made by Mom's own personal seamstress. When we moved to Japan in the early 60's, Americans were able to hire maids and a seamstress for a very nominal rate. If I remember correctly, Mom also had her own art teacher who came to the house to give her painting lessons.

This picture was taken outside our home in Valdosta in March of 1971 with our little dog, Betsy. Mom had me take this picture to send to Dad who was in Vietnam at the time. (Upon Dad's return from Vietnam on July 4, 1971, we were being transferred and moved to McGuire AFB in New Jersey. On the very day that we were being packed and loaded for the move, Betsy wandered out in the street in front of the house and someone ran over her).

I love, love, love this picture! I don't remember the circumstances of when I took this picture, but she looks so happy and so beautiful!

Until I discovered this picture taken in September of 1973, I didn't even remember Mom going to Disneyworld at that time. Cooking in the kitchen in Brookfield in 1973...

This picture was taken with Dad and Jennifer after Mom had been badly burned by grease in 1978 or 1979.

3 comments:

  1. Your mother is one heck of a lady...I'll testify to that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, she is and you should have known her several years ago when she was much more active!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The picture of Mom in the cast would have been taken in 1962. She had it on when I had my 8th birthday party cause she was in the living room on a bed since she couldn't go upstairs with it on.

    The picture with her in the hospital was in 1978 cause that accident happened when Travis was about six months old.

    ReplyDelete