Saturday, February 6, 2010

More Excitement With Joe

We had some real excitement here this morning. I had to call 911 to come take care of Joe. We were getting ready to head out to another one of our free community lectures. I had just finished showering when I heard Joe calling my name. I came out of the shower, found him hanging onto the kitchen door frame. He said he wasn't feeling good and I asked what was wrong. He wouldn't answer so I basically said "screw it, when you can talk and tell me what's wrong, let me know" and I took my naked self back into the bathroom to dry me and my hair.

I came back out, saw him twitching all over, plied him from the door and he collapsed to the floor while I was hanging onto him. He started violently flailing as though he was having a seizure with his eyes rolling, couldn't speak and he had no idea where he was and I called 911. This was something he'd never done before.

The funny part was trying to dress my voluptuous naked body, keep a check on him and talk to the operator at the same time. The hospital is less than a 3 min. ride from our home.!!! I did manage to get fully dressed before anyone arrived - wahoo!

Just then a firetruck and an ambulance came up our street with all the bells and whistles. They started an IV line, shot glucose into the line and gave him some orange juice. It was his blood sugar which had dropped to 46 and with the meds, he gradually came back into the land of the living. I fixed a sandwich which he ate and he refused ride to hospital since he was "normal" again. (When is he ever "normal"?)

The thoughts that keep running through my head though is this...what if I'd stayed in the shower much longer? What if this had happened while I was at work? He could have broken bones again and/or gone into a diabetic coma and died? Every morning before leaving for work, I always have a final prayer while sitting in my car and one of the things I always ask Heavenly Father is to protect and look after Joe while I'm gone. How blessed I've been that He has heard my prayers because any time that Joe has been in deep distress, I have been home.

I do believe though that I've added a few more gray hairs to my head today and have a few more stress lines after the events of this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment