Sunday, January 31, 2010

Words of Wisdom

For some reason, all the topics at church today seemed to center around service - service to others.

I've always felt very uncomfortable when service has been rendered to me. I don't mind doing things for others, but don't seem to really appreciate when others "do unto me". We have been the recipient of so many wonderful people who have served us since our move here. However, there was a thought that was spoken today and it so touched me that I had to hurry and write it down. It was...
"You never know when you may be the answer to someone's prayer".
Since moving here, I've had numerous opportunities to serve others. I don't really look at is as performing acts of service, but rather "passing it on". Passing on the wonderful things that have been done for us by making and taking meals to singles or families, doing my monthly visiting teaching, feeding singles at our home, taking care of the sister missionaries, visiting sick friends and so many other occasions. But, I also realize how many times I've missed opportunities to serve others and then I wonder did I miss being the answer to someone's prayer? So, one of my resolutions this year is to be more mindful of the needs of others and take advantage of helping whenever possible.

3 comments:

  1. Love the new background. I'll never forget the "service" you gave me with the tons of cards during my pregnancy. I try and still send cards every once in awhile because nothing beats the written word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I had to decorate for Valentine's Day, didn't I?

    So glad u remember the cards. I didn't, but now I do. I still believe cards are better than words because it conveys to the intended person that u took the time to find a special message just for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was grateful for my learning experience almost 10 years ago now about how to accept service from others. Still prefer giving it and if I can do it without the receiver even knowing.. so much the better! Guardian Angels comes in all shapes and sizes. Unless your are a member of the Cattell family Guardian Angels.. then we are all pretty much the same shape and size :-)

    ReplyDelete